A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,019
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Boogie Dancing* hot recon dress (now with directions)  (Read 47701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

GoombaLoveDisaster

ooh you like it!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2004 06:41:37 AM »

i died off this website for a while but i'm back... with this dress i made out of a big huge t-shirt from the salvation army. it was too awesome not to do something with...

if i were to make this dress over, undoubtedly i would make it LONGER... for i look pretty freaking naked in this picture. now i know what that look from my mom was for when i said "MOM, look what i made!"

but i wore this dress dancing and felt like a fashion genius when random girls where all about it... "like oh my god! where did you get your dress?" and and old boyfriend of mine was there... and yah, i don't know where i'm going with this, so i'll just stop.

anyway, i wish there was a pattern to share, but i pretty much just started cutting and sewing... the froof around the bottom is just scraps from the yellow shirt i stiched on with a zigzag stitch and red thread. the red waistband is from a different shirt i cut up... i could try to explain how to make it of anyone asks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004 11:41:46 PM by GoombaLoveDisaster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-What's your take on Cassavetes?
BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004 07:44:33 AM »

omg that is so cute!   Cheesy it looks so gorgeous on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'•.¸(`'•.¸*¤*¸.•'´ )¸.•'´)     
•.¤*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  *¤ .•      
°¤°(¸.• '´(¸.•'´*¤*`'•.¸)`'•.¸)   Rock on!
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004 10:11:50 AM »

It's adorable, but... how is it staying up? It doesn't look especially tight in the bust area, at least from the photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
artemicia
€rica

I <3 pocky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004 11:33:56 AM »

this has to be my all time favorite dress that i've ever seen on here. it's genius. btw, i love your hair, mine used to be that color when i had it super short, but semi-perm dies just got to sucking up all my money ^^.

wonderful job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sheila
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004 04:10:31 PM »

that is VERY cute, I'm going to have to cut of some shirts tomorrow and see if I can figure that out..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kate conspiracy
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004 05:29:21 PM »

Awesome! I don't think it's too short - it's for clubbing, right - not wearing to school Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoombaLoveDisaster

ooh you like it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004 09:25:01 PM »

thank you guys!!!:D

the top i made a hem and ran elastic through so it would stay up... it did the trick. it probably seems loose cuz i'm not wearing a bra Tongue

artemicia --- hahaha, yah my hair is no longer that color for that very reason. damn expensive punky color!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoombaLoveDisaster

ooh you like it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004 11:38:58 PM »

hey again everyone! i got bored and decided to draw up some reconstruction directions for this dress... so here they are! i hope they make sense...

--1st step is to find a really big, really awesome t-shirt you don't mind chopping up.

*i imagine those huge band shirts that are too big to wear except to bed, would do nicely...

--you'll want cut off the sleeves and sides of the shirt according to your size. you might want to put the shirt on and mark it where you want to cut...

--next cut straight across the middle/or a few inches under middle of shirt if you want a low waist... sew up what will be the sides of your dress, so you have two pieces, a top, and bottom with seams... *save the extra material*

--go find another, smaller shirt you can cut up...

--cut a piece around the middle of the 2nd shirt to be your waistband, and sew it between your top and bottom pieces. this lengthens the dress a little, and well, it looks cool... damnit.

--make a hem around the top of dress leaving about an inch open, and thread a piece of elastic though. gather the elastic a bit so it's snug fitting and stich up the open part of the hem. ta-da!

*for some extra length and snazziness, i sewed the extra material around the bottom in random hap-hazardness. i used a zig-zag stitch on the machine, but you can just sew by hand if the bunched up fabric is being naughty...

yay! this dress is so fun... club/dance/flirty/date/party/i sewed this shit myself, i freaking rule...kinda fun.... and so simple to make;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004 11:40:55 PM by GoombaLoveDisaster » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:popsi:.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004 03:16:18 AM »

how freakin' fantastic is that dress!  i looooved your spidey pillowcase skirt and you've done it again.  love love love *breathe* love love....
cool tutorial too - i'll have to try this out on my xxxxxxxl ac/dc shirt.

much coolness ^_^

.:popsi:.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
lollipop

Hey there, I'm Rachel!:)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004 06:25:01 AM »

that is so cute...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If adventures do not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad.
-Jane Austen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Coral Bead Bracelet
Flowers In Your Hair
Meatless Monday: Charred Jalapeno Corn Salsa

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...