A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Linked Events
  • Brisbane, QLD: Visit Craft & Open Day: May 27, 2007
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brisbane, QLD: Craftsters go to Spinners Weavers & Fibre Artists Craft Open Day  (Read 4974 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Jane Doe
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007 04:58:57 PM »

I'm so jelous of you all
Have a good time!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

utemama
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007 12:48:17 AM »

i so want to go but hubby and oldest son are going toowoomba for the day oh alas woest me maybe next year have a great weekend all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacquiw
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007 09:05:12 PM »

Oh that'd be right just cause its one of the few times i won't be home Utemama or we could have met up for coffee lol! I will let you know how the Open Day goes i have a ute load of passengers now and only one of us knows how to navigate. Should be interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
utemama
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007 01:12:43 AM »

hope you all had a great time i am still fuming,i oh so wanted to go,he promised i could go but as usual cars are first.oh well such is life,hope you got some great yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacquiw
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007 02:51:03 AM »

Bought some beautifully dyed Mulberry silk and Tussah silk,some Optima merino tops(roving) to try and a couple of small bags of dyed fleece. Oh and a Turkish drop spindle.We all had a lovely day out but didn't stay there very long,there were some cranky old ladies and one man who seemed to think we looked to stupid to use our Turkish spindles so we left.I admit i was disapointed. But we went off to West end and had lunch and a look around and generally just enjoyed our girls day out.I didn't see any craftsers there though i looked maybe they were scared off by the grumpy old ladies in the main hall to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007 04:28:13 PM »

I bought myself a spindle too.  An ashford top whorl.  Fleece too.  Merino silver, a bag each of yellow, orange and turquoise.  A baggie each of a silk merino blend and a merino, alpaca, camel blend.  Both of the last two for after I have learned how to use it properly.  The workshop is not until much later in the year, and it sounds as though it may not happen at all.  We'll see.

I also got a big 230 gram skein of undyed lace weight merino.  The prize that I was after in the first place and it was such a steal too.  It is for my first ever big lace shawl project, not in a hurry though.

Ha!  can you tell I like my merino?   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
snakeface

Clinging on to the earth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007 02:40:13 AM »

There were spindles? Damn, I was on the lookout for those and didn't see any. I got some purple and green roving though, and purple-pink-orange-yellow lightweight cotton. I've had to make do with my cd-spindle for my virgin spinning and so am greatly jealous.

I've got to say, I don't know what the thing is with freeform crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me! I'm literate! http://snakefaced.blogspot.com/
jane feebles
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007 02:55:41 AM »

LOL! the fashion parade was entertaining, that's for sure.
I picked up some hand dyed cotton, handspun adn dyed merino and this cool handyed cotton/synthetic blend that will look awesome as a scarf.
I also ran into heaps of people (I must be on the cranky old lady mailing list!) and wish I could afford to get into weaving
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you stitch? Do you bitch? Do you live in BrisVegas?? http://brisbanesnb.wordpress.com/

sighing, she stared wist-fully across the crowded buffet table
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007 05:48:14 PM »

Aw darn!  You just reminded me Jane Feebles.  I forgot about the pink, orange and purple skein of cotton I was gonna get before I went home.  I left it because there was a lady fondling it who didn't look like moving on in a hurry.  I wasn't worried she'd buy it, they had a few of them anyhow.  But I forgot to go back.  Silly of me, but too bad, maybe next year.   Grin

I must agree with you about the freeform snakeface, except I have seen some awesome handbags, keep an eye out for those!  I love weird stuff, but I probably won't be sporting any scumbled ponchos any time soon.  Actually, now that I think about it, by the time I'm 65 or so, I reckon I may be up for it.  Of course, by the time I get to that age it won't be 'cool' anymore.  All the more reason to do it I suppose.

I got my spindle from a stall down the side, but there was some Turkish ones inside the emporium too (I think that is what they call their store).  I really needed one, my CD spindle is so bad that it is just about unusable.  I have since learnt that it is too light, because i only used one CD and my shaft is a short length of plastic (read 10mm crochet hood Cheesy).  It is a shame though, because there is a small (albeit rather conceited) part of me that would have really liked for my first ever skein to have been spun on a spindle I could say I'd made myself.  Ha!   Roll Eyes

I only left my Nana alone for five minutes but when I got back, she had accumulated a small gathering of folks to chat to.  Including, a nice lady who insisted on giving us all a spinning demo with my new spindle (It was her that told me what was wrong with my CD model).  It is amazing how far a little tuft of merino will go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
utemama
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007 12:38:47 AM »

you all scored so well,great!!! i am so jealous.i have been told i am going to nimbin in a few weeks time i so cannot wait.i am so on the lookout for some dyed cotton,i want to further my collection of head covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...