A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
211 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LF: Sewing supplies in Ottawa  (Read 1920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Neophyte282
« on: August 02, 2006 02:30:20 PM »

I'm new to sewing and I was wondering what the best spots were in Ottawa to get supplies at good prices. I have a Bouclair down the road from me on St. Laurent and I know it's not the best place. I paid 4.99 /m for some sew-in interfacing and I feel it was a bit much. Plus, they didn't have much of a selection. They didn't have any fusible stuff.

The ones I'm aware of are:

-Sew for it (Robertson and Moodie and is REALLY far from me and I haven't checked it out) ( I bus)
-Fabriclands around Ottawa
-C&M textiles (Again, far from and I haven't had a chance to check it out)

Sure, I can open the phonebook and go to every single one but I'm looking to see if anyone has any favorite places, especially ones that fit the budget of a student!

Thanks for you help Smiley
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neophyte282
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 09:45:37 AM »

Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danis
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006 11:47:17 AM »

C and M textiles is fantastic if you can afford it.  They have a really good selection of knit fabrics and last time I was there they were 10% off.  If you were looking for material for a special occasion that is definetly where I would reccomend checking out.  They have pretty buttons too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blueeyetea
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006 01:30:29 PM »

Try Rockland Textile on Kaladar (near Heron and Bank). 

They keep a backroom where they'll discount fabric (i.e. overruns, end of bolts, stuff that didn't sell). 

They also sell discontinued fabric catalogs.  These catalogues were used to sell fabric when people ordered custom curtains, and the fabrics have been discontinued. 

Orders that weren't picked up are usually in this area.

It all depends on what you're looking for. 

Know your prices, though.  Some items aren't as cheap as they could be, in my opinion. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006 03:49:18 PM »

Interesting to know. Thanks for the info.

I am still having a hard time "pricing" fabric because I'm new to this and don't know what's a fair price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nospaces
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006 06:28:55 PM »

I work at BouClair in Barrhaven, and you're right, a lot of the sewing stuff is overpriced. But apparently we're phasing out the fabric over the next year or so. We have already cut back on the patterns (but they didn't put them on sale, Sad ) and a lot of the notions.  My understanding is that we're eventually going to liquidate it all to get rid of it, so keep checking back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006 07:45:24 PM »

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

I got the Fabricland discount card. On the 23rd regular priced fabric is 40%. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gryph

Starving Student

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006 10:47:40 AM »

I hope this is on topic enough, but are any/many of the stores mentioned here near the Ottawa public transit system? I'm gonna be moving to Ottawa early September for university, and I know I'll need to find a few good sewing supply stores that I can get to without any sort of bike/car '~'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelseymelissa
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006 12:24:10 PM »

I hope this is on topic enough, but are any/many of the stores mentioned here near the Ottawa public transit system? I'm gonna be moving to Ottawa early September for university, and I know I'll need to find a few good sewing supply stores that I can get to without any sort of bike/car '~'
Here, check out http://octranspo.com/. After entering the site, underneath 'What's New', there's a link to the Automated Travel Planner. You just enter your start address and your destination, plus date and time, and it'll show you the best way to get there using the Bus System. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Speakaboo
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006 08:37:55 AM »

Rockland Textiles is great, but it's a bit out of the way for me so it's always a special treat to go (I usually catch a ride with my mother-in-law when she's making a trip to the store).  I fell in love with a fabric that was $100/meter, while looking for fabric to use for my then fiance's wedding clothing.  Eeep!  Rockland Textiles is anything but affordable, but they have nice stuff.

My other favorite is Quilty Pleasures in Orleans.  I spend a lot of time there.  They have a fantastic section of batik fabrics, and a huge Pfaff display for me to drool over. Tongue  And they offer sewing/quilting courses in the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...