A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
266 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Resizing Knitty's Vestee  (Read 1309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Sphinxy
« on: April 12, 2007 12:15:53 PM »

I need some help... I found the Vestee on the newest Knitty and looks like the perfect present for my friend that will be giving birth to her first son at the end of the month...but the thing is that I want to make a smaller version of the Vestee...
but I dunno how...
I have some lovely baby blue yarn, and I'd be using US 6 needles...the gauge is 28 sts 32 sts...
Well, the thing is that i already started... Tongue I figure that since it seems to look smaller it would kinda work...but i dunno how long I have to make it... the pattern calls to knit in garter stitch for six inches... but I think that would be extremely big for a newborn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007 12:38:07 PM »

babies grow quickly.  big will eventually become just right. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sphinxy
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007 12:42:24 PM »

Yeah, that's what i've been thinking Tongue now the thing is that the thing is going to be narrower than it probably should... I was thinking to knit probably 4.5 or five inches for the first part of the vestee...so it's not too long...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007 02:18:24 PM by Sphinxy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennBabe
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007 04:23:02 PM »

I think that sweater would be cute smaller!  Are you casting on fewer stitches, or just making it with thinner yarn and smaller needles?  Vestee is definitely on my to-knit list. 

Let us know how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sphinxy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007 08:03:18 PM »

I did the cast on like it says.... just using smaller needles and thinner yarn... and reduced the lenght of the first part one inch, cos I think it would be too long... I hope it turns out fine... Tongue I'm kinda worried, this is probably the hardest project i've gotten myself into so far... ( go figure, a baby's vest! )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007 08:45:58 PM »

You could google some baby sweaters (knit or crochet doesn't matter for this) and get the full length. I don't remember if the Vestee has a schematic or not, but you could draw a basic outline, put down the measurements for the size the pattern calls for, then the pattern you found, and figure out the differences that way.

But I like to do things the hard way  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Sphinxy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007 10:50:32 PM »

and hell has it been hard... I made a huge mess... silly mistake actually... and unravel one side like three times... I think i finally fixed it.... and i kinda left a little hole somewhere... but I am NOT going to unravel soooo much... Tongue I'll fix it later... somehow Roll Eyes

If it weren't for the unraveling part... I'd be knitting the sleeves by now...
oh and now i have to attach more yarn due to the stupid mistake... I won't tell cos it's so silly and would take time to explain... suffise to say it's silly Tongue Tongue Tongue
Must go to bed...will go on tomorrow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sphinxy
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007 10:10:29 PM »

Sorry for the double posting... Tongue
The baby was born today!!!! I can't wait to see him... well, kinda will wait for like a month to meet him... till I go to her city for mother's day...
I'll end the Vestee this week, I would have finish it today, but did something so wrong...so, had to unravel, again...yes again... It was something soooo ridiculous... I keep making funny mistakes...that end up costing me time... but will end soon... and post pics...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...