A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,622
Currently Running With Scissors:
146 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creative Lettering  (Read 1703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 06, 2007 02:39:53 PM »

I'm decorating paper "loot" bags for my wedding and I need a creative way to do the lettering. I'll only be doing around 24 bags so it doesn't have to be a fast process or anything. I can't think of anything besides just using colouring pencils. Sad  Some thoughts would be a great help!  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big project Stitchalong 2009 - Ongoing
Tea Towel Tour 5 - In Progress
silverlining86

*Road Trip Junkie*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007 03:52:47 PM »

Choose your favorite font on the computer.  Type out your lettering, choose a large font size and print it out.  Then flip the paper over and use a pencil to shade behind the text on the reverse of the paper.  Place your paper on your object, pencil shaded side down and trace around your font. I use this technique for scrapbooking all the time because I have horrible handwriting.  For 24 bags you might want to print your text three or four times. After tracing over the text a few times the pencil wears off and the original lettering gets a bit muckd up from all the tracing. It's really easy to do but a bit time consuming. The end result is worth it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007 09:14:35 PM »

you could get rubber stamps with letters to use, or just accent the first letter of each word with a letter stamp and then use calligraphy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
scrills
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007 09:06:23 AM »

Have you tried the die-cut machines at the scrapbooking store. They allow you to use them at no cost
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamakay
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007 09:36:02 AM »

I personally like rubber stamps, plain stickers that I embellish, or die cut letters when I have to do more than five of something--it's much easier on my poor prone-to-writer's-cramp hand.
There are some books out there about creative lettering, and I found http://www.scrapbook.com/tips/tech/45.html.  There are a few idea there.  I usually look around at fonts in regular magazines and flip through my scrapbook mags until I find something I like and then doodle until I get something I'm happy with--then finally put the lettering on my projects or pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007 09:41:24 AM »

Have you tried the die-cut machines at the scrapbooking store. They allow you to use them at no cost

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
THEY LET YOU USE THEM FOR FREE?!
do you have to buy paper? what's the catch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
scrills
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007 02:41:22 PM »

yes, they ask that you buy their paper. there's a sign up, but I'm not sure how well it's enforced
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007 07:05:35 PM »

No way! Shocked

You can always look at fonts on your computer and use those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
craftless
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007 05:36:40 PM »

I work at a scrapbooking store... During the week its free to use all the machines, but on the weekends they charge 5 dollars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007 09:15:52 PM »

the sbing store i shop at, the only one i will shop at, offers it for free everyday of the week, and the paper (even the expensive bazzill i use exclusively) is pretty inexpensive

but thats completely off topic

i suggest using a font on the computer, it looks neater and more attractive. you could always print it out on pretty colored paper, in a nice color (black looks best, but experiment) and then embellish with glitter in your wedding colors, or flowers, or anything that you think looks pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 17, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Salt Dough Ornament
Three's a Charm

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...