A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,572
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time selling at market / craft fair (kinda long)  (Read 10726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
ShelbyAD
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004 05:42:52 AM »

Well I'm not giving up yet.  I have 1,  potentially 3 more craft fairs to participate in.  Most of the people who were there, were there for the free games & blow up rides for their children.  It was the first year for this festival.  They had some flyers up and advertised on an AM radio station - they needed to do it on an FM station.  Plus (this might sound rude) the county that it was in is not a "well to do" county, plus the town it was in only has 1 major business. 

I'm hoping to get into one that's this weekend and I'm signed up for a booth at one on Nov 6th.  I'm trying to get information on 2 more, but so far no one has returned my e-mails about it.  I'm going to keep trying.

Alot of people liked my stuff, said it was nice, cute, creative, but didn't buy it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004 08:42:55 PM »

Thank you again to everyone that replied to my original post. Its been good to hear all your stories (good and bad!).

All of the nightmare stories are quite depressing Undecided

Nothwithstanding the depressing stories, after months of thinking about it I have finally signed up for a market to be held on the 23rd of October (beginning of the summer here in Sydney so it should be a beautiful Australian summer day).

I get a 3 yard frontage (I have to supply my own table) for $45. The organiser said that she is letter dropping to 3,000 homes in the area, advertising in the local newspaper, at malls, etc and she expects a huge turnout. She says there'll be 50 other stalls there. I just hope it doesn't rain!!

I am now thinking it might be better for me to sell my craft supplies, rather than my handbags. Does anyone have any ideas for displaying supplies? It would be much easier displaying handbags but there are sure to be other handmade handbags there at the market. I'm really torn and I guess I need to make a decision one way or the other!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004 02:19:17 PM »

Sarah, do you have enough room to sell both?  I use a hat stand that my uncle made to display my bags. It doesn't take up much room and then I have the whole table to display other stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2004 06:54:46 PM »

Hi Elwood,

I guess there's no reason for me not to sell both huh?  The hat stand is a great idea - I could possibly use a coat stand also and put that to the side and then use the table for my other gear.

Thanks for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
RedStitch
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2004 07:06:03 PM »

do one show where your stuff sells well and there'll be no turning back, you'll be addicted ;-).

God, it feels great, wenn your stuff sells!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2004 11:28:59 AM »

I'm going to be attending my first ever craft fair to sell my wares this November. I make hemp, and other jewlery, but i'm really worried that i might not have anugh to sell, or that my things won't sell. If anyone has any display ideas or and advice to offer at all, i would really appreciate it. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
nutritiongal
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2004 12:08:07 PM »

I went to a craft fair/show thinger yesterday and there was a person who had some hemp necklaces up. The way she displayed them made me stop and look at them. To display them, she had taken a piece of white cardboard and put slits where she put the ends of the necklace/bracelet, so they were standing vertical. Then the piece of cardboardwas propped up so you don't have to look down to see them. I think that was a good idea. I hope you understand. I think I used more words than necessary to explain a simple idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back after a fews years of inactivity and looking forward to getting back into crafting!

Visit my blog: http://roaringtwentieskerri.blogspot.com/
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2004 12:19:26 PM »

I am going to sign up for a teeny tiny show at my Temple....it is called the Hanunukah Boutique and will last only three and a half hours.  I am going to sell flower pins and maybe soaps.  It is tough b/c if only the older folks ar shopping......I doubt my stuff will appeal to them.  I only have to pay 15% of my proceeds which benefit the Sunday School Program.

Any suggestions?HuhHuh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2004 12:17:04 PM »

I am going to sign up for a teeny tiny show at my Temple....it is called the Hanunukah Boutique and will last only three and a half hours.  I am going to sell flower pins and maybe soaps.  It is tough b/c if only the older folks ar shopping......I doubt my stuff will appeal to them.  I only have to pay 15% of my proceeds which benefit the Sunday School Program.

Any suggestions?HuhHuh?

What your selling may not appeal to the buyers, but it may help them with gift ideas. Make signs that say "Looking for the perfect gift? Look over here!" ot something like that. Also, remind customers that a portion of sales helps the Sunday school children. They may want to dish out a few bucks to help the children or to solve that last-minute gift issue. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OldQlts
shop with me on ebay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2004 09:43:02 AM »

Any suggestions?HuhHuh?

i think the older folks might go for the soaps! it's good, though, that you only pay a commission on what you sell. just in case and all. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrairiePrimitives is my eBay ID. I tried to put a link here, but it didn't work. Sad
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie
@Home This Weekend: Door Decor
June 20, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...