A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
198 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time selling at market / craft fair (kinda long)  (Read 10720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
simply
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004 06:22:32 AM »

well i saw this guy at one that did custom clocks and he took orders...do you have a website they could order off of? you could put that on a brochure.  if you allow a little customization (choice of flower/ribbon color/ etc) i don't see why they wouldn't. ya know," oh that's nice, but i really wanted purple, not yellow...what's that? i can customize an order? sign me up!" never know unless you give it a shot  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShelbyAD
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004 06:48:32 AM »

Unfortunately I don't have a website.  I've been asking my husband for MONTHS now to set one up for me.  Well, he's a man and hasn't gotten around to it.  For course I guess it would help if I took pictures of my stuff  Cheesy

I will make up cards for them to take with them.  I can't really call them business cards, because I'm not a business.  I will give my stuff a title with my name and cell phone number.

I have ALOT to do in 3 weeks!!!  HELP!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2004 06:57:03 AM »

i sentence your husband to 30 lashings with a wet noodle.  why not set one up yourself? they're really not that hard, and if you need any help, i offer what i know. even if it's just a simple thing with pics and contact info for the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedStitch
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2004 08:51:13 AM »

why not set one up yourself?

That's what I was going to say too. Check out my site - it is my first try ever, it took a lot of time and brain storm, but I am happy to have it! Technically it was not hard, there are tons of step-by-step guides, and my native language is not English, but it was easy anyway... A web-site is very helpful.

My problem is that I only have 1 of everything I make.

Is it a problem? Everything is ONE-OF-A-KIND!!! There is no one alike!!! Make a sign and raise your price!

Do people really order stuff from a vendor at craft fairs?

'I love this scarf! I wish it was blue. Do you have a blue one?'
or
'I would like to buy a poncho for my daughter for Christmas. Do you have one with bigger holes on it?'

The first lady even paid right the way.

What has your experience been with accepting checks?

I have never hade bounced checks. But... Cash or deposit them the very next day. And if you feel that you do not trust the person, ask for ID, like in any other store.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShelbyAD
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2004 10:50:40 AM »

THANKS for ALL of the great advice.  You guys are the BEST  Grin

I'm sure I will have more questions as the craft fair date grows closer - which btw is October 9th
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedStitch
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004 08:50:04 AM »

I'm sure I will have more questions as the craft fair date grows closer - which btw is October 9th

Shelby, how did it go?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShelbyAD
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004 10:39:50 AM »

It sucked!!!  Angry  Did not sell a thing.  But after talking to some of the other vendors, they did not do too well either.  Some only sold 1 or 2 items, some sold none.  Right now I'm in a craft fair depression.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004 05:02:49 PM »

It sucked!!!  Angry  Did not sell a thing.  But after talking to some of the other vendors, they did not do too well either.  Some only sold 1 or 2 items, some sold none.  Right now I'm in a craft fair depression.  Sad

Aw. But don't let that discourage you. They good thing is that now you know what you did wrong. Maybe it was the crowd just wasn't into the kinds of things you had to offer. Your items sound awesome by your little description, so I doubt it was the quality or anything.

Whatever you do, don't make it your last craft fair. Keep looking out for more events and keep learning from your mistakes. You have the interest in craft fairs and just because you have a bad day doesn't mean you should give up. The good news is that you already have some items that you can sell next time, so you don't have to go crazy re-stocking. You also have a better idea of what the experience will be like so you'll respond better to your surroundings. Bottom line: Don't give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedStitch
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004 10:19:59 PM »

I know the feeling. I posted a story about my first experience on the first page. Do not give up. It might be a wrong fair for your product. I've been at a couple wrong myself... As a customer. I did not know that fairs and festivals can be THAT different...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
madebykris
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004 12:27:32 AM »

Want to feel better?  I did 3 regional wholesale markets (much more expensive than retail markets) because I had heard how great people do with wholesale shows - and didn't sell one item.  It's hard to sell when you have 3 or 4 people walking by in an hour.  I've done one retail craft fair, on a terrible, cold, rainy weekend outdoors, and sold a slew of stuff.  It's just a matter of where and when, dumb luck is much more important than probably any of us would want to admit.  I almost quit after those first few shows, but do one show where your stuff sells well and there'll be no turning back, you'll be addicted ;-).  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consistantly update content available at www.madebykris.com, inconsistantly updated content available at www.lusterstudio.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Shea Butter Sugar Scrub
Fancy a Cuppa?
Meatless Monday: Pickled Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...