A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,838
Currently Running With Scissors:
194 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time selling at market / craft fair (kinda long)  (Read 10842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004 07:14:13 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

My goodness! What excellent, complete and thoughtful advice you guys have given!

This has certainly given me that *oomph* (or kick in the bum) to get out there and have a go.

Actually for the next couple of weeks I'm going to attend a few more markets in Sydney and pick the one that I feel most comfortable with and then book myself in for a few months down the track (late July).

Thanks again guys - I reeaaaallly appreciate the kind advice. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004 01:14:51 PM »

Yeah, I just read this thread and want to thank everyone who replied. My first show is in November. Though I do consider myself quite the savvy buisnesswoman, I must admit some of the advice given was helpful to me. Food won't be a problem, though, because last year I ran the snack cart, where I had to push around a cart with sandwiches, sodas, chips, etc. for the vendors to buy.

Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004 01:52:32 PM »

Just a word of advice for the bad days........my first attempt at selling my wares at a craft fair or similar event was pretty much a disaster.  I sold handmade silk flower pins and jewelry.  My items were vintage inspired with semi-precious stones and I EXPECTED them to sell because it was a large home tour of a historic neighborhood.  It seemed like a good fit. I had lots of lookers but my ONLY sale was five flowers to a friend who came to buy gifts.  I was devastated.   

There were tons of other jewelry sellers there with lots of sales.  They primarily had chunky and/or southwestern-esque items.  Or they were really inexpensive.  I felt awful and really wondered if my designs were worth a thing and questioned my product.  It was tough.   

I was finally able to recognize that it wasn't a reflection of my pieces being ugly or poorly made.  I had a bad day at an event with people who preferred a different style of pieces.  I am going back again this year with my new hair pins, jewelry and knit items.  They all still have a girly vinage feel and I have more confidence in my work.  If I don't sell.......I won't do any worse than last year but at least I still get to hang out with my two crafty friends all afternoon eating snowcones and chatting.  sometimes its about going back even after a bad experience.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blunderwoman
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004 07:48:34 PM »

Whew! I just did my first craft fair last Saturday! I think it went really well for our first one....I'm excited to do another one now. Looong, looong after I move next month, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedStitch
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004 08:14:46 AM »

my first attempt at selling my wares at a craft fair or similar event was pretty much a disaster.  I sold handmade silk flower pins and jewelry.  My items were vintage inspired with semi-precious stones and I EXPECTED them to sell because it was a large home tour of a historic neighborhood.  It seemed like a good fit. I had lots of lookers but my ONLY sale was five flowers to a friend who came to buy gifts.  I was devastated.   

It sounds familiar! My first craft show was awful, a lot of people stopped, looked and made nice comments. But the only persone who bought a hat was my mother-in-law! I was so disappointed, so I was going to stop knitting.

My husband said that it does not mean anything - first of all it was cold, and the only thing people wanted to buy was HOT coffee.

The second - it was in April, and the winter season was over. You can not expect people to buy hats.  He also said - we should come there every month so people remember you and come to buy hats in fall. But the next fairs were much better, I sold a lot of baby's hats and was happy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShelbyAD
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004 05:52:29 AM »

I am doing a craft fair for the first time also next month, in 3 weeks to be exact.  My problem is that I only have 1 of everything I make.  I don't know what will sell so I don't know what to make more of.  Some of the stuff I have made was costly (to me anyways) to make and I don't want to spend that kind of money and not sell it.  IF I do sell some of my stuff, then I will make more for my next fair.

I make/design grapevine wreaths, styrofoam ornaments, plastic canvas crosses (do have several of those), painted/decorated terra cotta pots, a couple of floral arrangements.  Stuff like that.

Also, since I am not a "business" I can only accept cash and checks.  What has your experience been with accepting checks?

Any advice on this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2004 06:03:14 AM »

shelby- maybe you could put together a little album of all the stuff your selling, that way if at the end your running out of product, people could flip through the pictures and see what you had. who knows, someone might even try to place an order  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShelbyAD
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2004 06:08:56 AM »

I was thinking of putting together a brochure with an order form for anyone who wanted to order something.  I even have a receipt book, if anyone requires one and an order book (the one with a yellow copy underneath the white original) that way the customer can keep track of what they ordered and I have a copy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004 06:12:23 AM »

yay!! Cheesy  your ahead of the game, way to go  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShelbyAD
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004 06:14:49 AM »

Do people really order stuff from a vendor at craft fairs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upgrade Your Kitchen
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...