A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
269 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A barrage of questions about plants and gardening...  (Read 4210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007 07:05:18 AM »

It might be an abelia.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auntiem
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007 12:25:00 PM »

If you haven't pruned the lav yet - usually you wait until fall and do a hard prune, unless you forgot to do it and then you can do a light prune in spring if it hasn't started to send out flower spikes - if it has, you should wait. It won't hurt it either way. The more important thing to check is if it has "split" over the winter - if part of the plant has leaned off away from the main center. If that's the case you can wait until your Mom gets back and have her show you how to layer off that part of the plant.
Oh, and I think the herb is in the mint family - esp. if it is growing like crazy - it is pretty invasive in a way that oregano is not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007 01:34:49 PM »

We've been slaving away in the garden for days, and I come back and find all your lovely advice!  Thanks, guys Grin  The purple plant mystery is solved!  Apparently, it's Daphne. 

I seriously doubt if that is lilac, it is sort of that shape but there would be way more flowers in that little group and the branch doesn't look like a lilac branch. If it's lilac, it is one sick puppy.

I had thought it would, too, but there are these weird cut marks on it's main branches where there should be little stems  - which no one has explained and might be making the Daphne sick (it's looking decidedly peaky right now Cry).

The herb: easy way to tell if it is part of the mint family -- is the stem square instead of round? Seriously. If you look at mints their stems have four ridges that make them more square than round.

For a decent PDF on rose pruning:
www.jlgardencenter.com/uploads/handouts/Rose%20Care.pdf

Smiley

OOOH, thanks!  I think it has a round stem...  I'll have to check...

If you haven't pruned the lav yet - usually you wait until fall and do a hard prune, unless you forgot to do it and then you can do a light prune in spring if it hasn't started to send out flower spikes - if it has, you should wait. It won't hurt it either way. The more important thing to check is if it has "split" over the winter - if part of the plant has leaned off away from the main center. If that's the case you can wait until your Mom gets back and have her show you how to layer off that part of the plant.
Oh, and I think the herb is in the mint family - esp. if it is growing like crazy - it is pretty invasive in a way that oregano is not.

Yeah, the lavender hasn't been pruned in, like, 2 years.  So, I should wait until Fall?  I finally couldn't take it any longer and cut back the side that's covering the sidewalk - people had to sidle around it Tongue (which was also a bit embarrassing)

Thanks again, guys Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
auntiem
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007 04:33:05 PM »

2 years - well, you could do a shapping prune like you did, then wait until fall for the hard prune. Lavenders like to get sheared back by a third - I found out last year from local growers - so mine got their first serious prune last fall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007 12:46:53 PM »

2 years - well, you could do a shapping prune like you did, then wait until fall for the hard prune. Lavenders like to get sheared back by a third - I found out last year from local growers - so mine got their first serious prune last fall.

By a third?  Thank you!  A definite number (I'm all about that).  I'll remember that Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
auntiem
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007 01:12:11 PM »

Here is a pix of how they do it at the lavender farms - sadly mine look nothing like this - but you get the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susankg53
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007 10:23:10 AM »

we've had snow and a hard freeze and my poor lilacs are now the sick puppies, they were so full of blooms, was gonna be the best they've done in years and now it doesn't look good, thank goodness I brought my elephant ear pot back in the house. good luck with the garden
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007 02:22:44 PM »

Here is a pix of how they do it at the lavender farms - sadly mine look nothing like this - but you get the idea.

I love the French.  But, mine'll never look that good!  (laughing)  Thank you for sharing it, though Cheesy

we've had snow and a hard freeze and my poor lilacs are now the sick puppies, they were so full of blooms, was gonna be the best they've done in years and now it doesn't look good, thank goodness I brought my elephant ear pot back in the house. good luck with the garden

Poor lilacs!  Thank you, and you too Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
clumsygirl
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007 04:07:45 PM »

You might trying posting a pictures to the identify this plant section of the You Grow Girl forums. The peeps over there are mighty helpful when it comes to plants and gardening.

www.yougrowgirl.com/forums/

-c
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007 05:33:00 PM »

You might trying posting a pictures to the identify this plant section of the You Grow Girl forums. The peeps over there are mighty helpful when it comes to plants and gardening.

www.yougrowgirl.com/forums/

-c

Ooh, thanks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...