A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,452
Currently Running With Scissors:
160 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Overly ambitious first freezer paper stenciling project.  (Read 3247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

jenna_alive
« on: March 28, 2007 09:33:59 PM »

As most first projects are, this one was plagued by mishaps, starting from an extremely crappy experience with extremely crappy Michaels employees, to an iron that has some sort of awful black stuff on it.  I didn't get the tote size, shape, or color I initially wanted, but in the end, things turned out pretty okay.

This was, um, ambitious for a first stencil.  Man, oh man, that was quite a bit of cutting.

Now, I really want to lay the stencil down again and do, like, a slight off impression of it all in white, so the black looks like a drop shadow.  The general consensus seems to be that these are one time use stencils though, huh?  That seems like an awful waste!

Anyways, it still feels unfinished.  Can anyone think of embellishment ideas that don't require me to do epic battle with my sewing machine, of whom I'm not very fond and the feeling is mutual?

Thanks for taking a peek!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019 01:57:08 PM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrapBinBaby
Crafty as can be...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 10:25:24 PM »

Nice work!  Smiley I always feel bummed when I toss a hard earned stencil at the end of a project, too.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If life is a trial, crafting is therapy...
Crafty mama of two who piddles into the night...
jenna_alive
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 10:44:50 PM »

Nice work!  Smiley I always feel bummed when I toss a hard earned stencil at the end of a project, too.  Undecided

Yeah, I'm thinking that freezer paper stenciling may not be for me.  I'm happy with the crispy edges, but I don't really get along with irons, and the immediate tossing is a big letdown for me.

I think I'm going to try the acetate/temp spray mount method next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 11:36:17 PM »

Great job!  I can only imagine how much work went into this.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts.com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue.com and www.PiratesCloset.com.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
sarantha
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007 12:50:54 AM »

Wow. I'd totally leave it as it is. I think the stencil works great on the fabric, and I like the stark image on the unicoloured fabric. It has such an impact. I wouldn't alter it at all. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hallo aus Deutschland! Hi from Germany!
I'm interested in personal swaps - and if you live in Europe, we could swap some fabrics - PM me!

http://www.wists.com/sarantha
_nerve_
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007 07:14:34 AM »

...that's a pretty awesome first stencil.
i work with the acetate/spray adhesive and i get good results and..get to archive my stencils. I say go with that...the only downside is it can get kind of costly if you're doing bigger designs/multiple layered stencils but ya know, the results are worth it in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The Big Brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Ha-ha-ha-ha. Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!"
--Futurama
jenna_alive
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007 10:51:22 AM »

...that's a pretty awesome first stencil.
i work with the acetate/spray adhesive and i get good results and..get to archive my stencils. I say go with that...the only downside is it can get kind of costly if you're doing bigger designs/multiple layered stencils but ya know, the results are worth it in the end.

What kind of spray adhesive do you use?  Does it wash off the acetate or does it just kind of stay sticky forever?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Farnsworth
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007 04:30:53 PM »

Well I've been able to reuse freezer paper stencils before, I know a guy who used his quite a few times...
but I do think it looks great as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
megawench
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007 08:11:57 AM »

Yeah, I always reuse my freezer stencils, and have never had a problem. But it looks really cool, I like the black on ultra bright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simonJester

bit whimsical in the brainpan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007 07:07:48 PM »

Yours looks MUCH better that my first. I have yet to get a really good edge with freezer paper, I end up having to do tons of touch-ups. I'm interested in the acetate/adhesive thing mentioned.  Is there a tute for it somewhere? I've used regular spray adhesive with cardstock and overhead plastic, the edges are crisp but when I peel it off it usually tears.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Toiletry Bag
Weekend Bunnies
Meatless Monday: Portobello Mushroom Lasagna

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...