A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What yarn should I use for an afghan?  (Read 3786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007 11:33:17 PM »

I think acrylic would be WAY too hot though for the temps in iraq.  it doesn't breath at all and would stick to yah.  I have been hunting online all night for a CAMO yarn that's a cotton blend and i can't find ANY.  all the camo yarns are acrylic.  arghhhh.  anyone know of any good camo yarns that aren't the cheap red heart acrylic super saver variety?   Huh

what about this yarn?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250016806045&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

the lady said it was machine washable, would it make a good afghan?  opinions appreciated!   Grin
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007 08:51:30 AM by knottydottie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007 08:20:58 AM »

Ok...upon hours of late night research, I think I have decided to attempt an afghan in Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece.  From what I've read it seems like a great cotton blend yarn, easy to work with and lightweight.  My only concern is the washing of it,  i've read that it bleeds a lot.  I'm also thinking it couldn't be dried in the dryer because the yarn is 80% cotton, 20% merino wool.  Any opinions or suggestions about using this yarn for an afghan?? 

Your yarn wisdom is appreciated, grasshopper.

Wink

knottydottie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007 01:43:41 AM »

i want to make an afghan for my marine too!  does it have to be cammi colors? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007 10:36:23 AM »

I don't think it has to be camo, but i'm making mine in camo colors because he loves them.  crazy marines.  i ordered a bunch of the brown sheep cotton fleece for SUPER cheap from the Sheep Shed online, they have some discontinued colors that are perfect for the camo color scheme. 

i still wonder about washing and drying this stuff though....

Smiley
knottydottie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hounddog
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007 10:39:30 AM »

I would use Simply Soft yarn. The cotton yarn is very heavy but the SS is lightweight and soft.  I know the soldiers carry a heavy pack so this would be perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inch by inch - anything's a cinch.
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007 10:44:10 AM »

I looked at the simply soft, but it's 100% acrylic which seems too suffucating and sticky in hot, hot weather.  i was hoping for something more breathable, that's why i thought cotton and cotton blends would be better?  are my fears of acrylic ill founded? lol.  also, i don't think it will be part of his packed gear if he needs to go out on a mission off base....i'm thinking that hand knit afghans don't qualify as necessities, hehe.

Tongue
knottydottie
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007 10:46:12 AM by knottydottie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007 06:15:43 PM »

I think cotton fleece was/is an excellent choice.  Your concerns about acrylic are well founded.  It would not breathe, it would be hot, and NOT loved or appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
itscute
Blimy

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007 06:49:38 PM »

i guess a superwash wool for a cold weather blanket?  I wanted to go with a cashmere blend...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007 07:46:57 PM »

I made my husband a camo blanket with the red heart, but I did it by holding together two strands and did it with a P hook, so it's not a heavy, hot blanket.  I had it out the other day at my son's baseball game and his stepmom thought his dad (who's in Iraq) would really like one.  The thing is, it's been washed several times and is still in really good shape--so, I figured I'd just make one exactly the same for my ex and send it to him.  I don't think most guys care what afghans are made out of--plus, I'd hate to make something out of expensive yarn and then have it get ripped off (my ex actually had some of his things stolen at one point).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
itscute
Blimy

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007 08:05:59 PM »

well it's good to hear from someone who's actually made the item.    now to find a pattern... i think i'm going with knitpicks swish superwash...

oh, is there a specific size that qualifies it as an afghan? or afghan's strickly for crochet blankets?  or it's more general, like large piece of square  made out of yarn can = blanket, afghan, etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...