A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 315,260
Currently Running With Scissors:
239 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What yarn should I use for an afghan?  (Read 3701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 27, 2007 10:55:03 PM »

Hello crafty people,
I am wanting to make an afghan (knitted or crocheted) that will be good for warm weather use.  It is for a friend of mine who's deployed to iraq and so he just wants something lightweight and comfy, that won't be itchy and is somewhat breathable.  Could anyone offer some suggestions on types of yarn I might try using?  Synthetic? Cotton?  blends?  I really have no idea, and I want to make it functional for him and still something comfy to curl up with.  It would  need to be something that could be thrown into the washing machine and survive.  Also, i was considering doing part of it in a camo yarn of some kind, so any tips relating to camo yarn would be great too. I was thinking that if I used a pattern that created some gaps in the stitch design, it might help make it breathable, does that make sense?  Pattern suggestions are also welcome, lol.  basically I just need some brainstorming help! 

:-)
knottydottie
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007 05:38:06 AM by vanillaxlight » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennye

Knowledge is good.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007 08:02:49 AM »

I'd suggest cotton yarn for a warm weather blanket.  You can do a simple granny square in greens and browns, for a camo look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007 10:35:21 AM »

would cotton yarn hold up in the washing machine?  i want something that doesn't require special cleaning, because it won't receive it from a marine.  in fact, i probably don't even have to worry about it because it won't get washed!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeHa
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007 12:52:12 PM »

all of my cotton pieces have held up well to machine washing. just make sure he knows not to wash it on hot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007 01:04:42 PM »

I've had a few friends suggest Knitpicks Shine Sport  to me....and Rowan Cotton Glace.  Anyone have any experience with these yarns? 

I may just need to go to the yarn store and start a hands on search.  I like to feel things, rather than just order them online.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007 01:06:35 PM »

Most of the laundry facilities over there use hot water to wash with, just a heads up!!  I made my husband one out of cotton, and it now could be used as a baby blanket!  He's in Afghanistan right now and I think he could use it as a washcloth now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!
eatyerhartout
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007 05:14:54 PM »

Most of the laundry facilities over there use hot water to wash with, just a heads up!!  I made my husband one out of cotton, and it now could be used as a baby blanket!  He's in Afghanistan right now and I think he could use it as a washcloth now!

Eeek! Well, what about Lionbrand Cotton-Ease? I've never used it personally, but I've heard great things about it. Very lightweight, easy to clean, nice colors (although not many choices), fairly cheap. Here's a link to it's specifics: http://cache.lionbrand.com//yarns/newcottonease.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007 05:31:01 PM »

Normally, I think that doing a swatch for an afghan is ridic, but b/c cotton shrinks so much, I'd say it's imperitive in this case.

But, I'd add a caveat, just from my experience.  I have a TERRIBLE time weaving in the ends of cotton.  Cotton is so smooth, it doesn't stick, and it almost always comes undone for me.  So for me, I'd be hesitant to use cotton on an afghan that would be heavily washed, b/c I'd be afraid it'd come undone.  I'd probably consider a cotton blend...Maybe it's just me though, and you don't have that problem. 

Also, definately don't use acrylic.  It breathes about as well as plastic and would super hot and sweaty.  BAD idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
knottydottie

Live with no regrets.

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007 05:46:01 PM »

wow great info everyone, thank you!  that's good to know about the laundry facilities...although i'm not sure he's in a spot that even has them.  Acrylic seems like a really bad choice, I agree.  Maybe a cotton blend is the way to go, i might have to try a sample swatch, that is a good idea.  Or I could just tell him to never wash it, but I'm afraid it would get pretty gross really fast over there in the sandbox. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007 05:58:49 PM »

see i love acrylic for afghans... red heart and simply soft being my top two choices b/c both are indestructible and will stand up not only to the washer and dryer but to constant abuse. not to mention you can get a one pound ball of acrylic for $10 and it's all you really need for a decent sized afghan

i've heard cotton works well, but haven't tried it. acrylic is my standby for afghans
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...