A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 323,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do i make an oblong shape?  (Read 5662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jennybean
« on: October 28, 2004 04:30:41 PM »

hi,
i saw this cool scarf with rounded ends (the one in yellow and blue on the top left) and i am SURE some crafty craftster knows how i make something in that shape?!? right? please help, this is a christmas gift waiting to happen ... after i practice for myself of course.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004 04:43:54 PM »

I am thinking that you would crochet a chain as long as you want the scarf then do whatever stitch around the whole chain with increases on the ends to make it flat just an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004 04:58:48 PM »

Looks like a strip for a Mile-a-Minute afgahn.  Make a chain the desired length, and do two or threes rows of trebel stitch, increasing in the end stitch to keep it flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004 05:59:03 PM »

yeah, thats nice I would also make a chain as long as you would like it to be then again maybe less than and go crochet down the chain and around back of chain and go round and round untill you have it as wide as you want.. I can't tell what stitches are used there maybe in the middle a tripple crochet? Its a good idea for scarf its nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004 07:29:22 AM »

the middle part (yellow) doesn't look like a simple chain to me. it seems way too thick and also more complicated. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hudelei
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004 07:45:45 AM »

Looks like a strip for a Mile-a-Minute afgahn.  Make a chain the desired length, and do two or threes rows of trebel stitch, increasing in the end stitch to keep it flat.

I think GloryB is right.  Looks like one of those Mile-a-Minute afghan strips.  I just ran a quick search to see if I could find an image for you to look at, and Annie's Attic has a bunch of Mile-A-Minute patterns for sale and you can see the covers:

http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/list.html?cat_id=294

There are lots of free patterns out there too for that style of afghan, but all the ones I just turned up on a very cursory goggle search were pictureless. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arabella
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004 10:05:26 AM »

hi all!  I'm new here!  *loving* these boards!

that is definitely mile-a-minute crochet.  I had a book somewhere, but can't find it. 

jennybean, the middle section doesn't look like simple chain because it's been crocheted over, if that makes any sense.  I agree with justwantacraft, do a chain as long as you want the scarf to be, then do stiches around it, in both sides of the chain, and with multiple stitches into one stitch when you are at the ends of each chain (for the oblong shape).

just to let you know, in my experience this long "in the round" projects are super annoying because you have to chain forever and have a lot of working into the chain, which for me is always the hardest/most annoying part.  I prefer it when I've got more "work" to hold on to.

it *is* a cool scarf though!  and thanks for the link, I am kinda diggin' the granny square hat (w/out the tassel maybe).

good luck and keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004 02:28:58 PM »

i'll give it a try. y'all sound like you know what you're talking about! i've just got to get some yarn to work with and i'll let you know. thanks for the help!

by the way, that hat is cute, but i think i would change the colors and the type of yarn i used.
also, i agree about working on the long chain part of projects. it's difficult to hold on to the work and keep it oriented properly. oh well, i think the scarf will be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004 06:49:00 PM by jennybean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004 05:56:53 AM »

You could try 1 long chain, then go back and work in that chain 1 or 2 rows depending on the stitch you choose to use.  Then switch colors and start another row across but then instead of chaining up to make another row....go along the small edge you made (crochet in the edge), and start going around scarf.
when you get back around to the other end crochet in that edge too.  When you reach the begininng of your color, switch colors again and go around.  At the edge again crochet a few times in the middle of the edge (if sc like 3 sc in middle stitch) that will round off the edges and make it look oblong
Wow, hope that makes sense
That is a really nice scarf!
~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
jennybean
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004 07:02:27 AM »

well i finished the scarf! yay! it came out pretty well. only one mistake and two messy parts (the ends).

the only problem is that the whole thing is curling. so instead of a long flat scarf i have a long tube-shaped scarf, and it's stinky because it's not as pretty that way. anyone know how to fix it? i tried ironing, but it didn't stay flat. it's acrylic yarn. do i just have to wait? i am a new crochet-er so i don't have much experience with finished projects!

anyway, i will post the thing in finished projects soon ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: School Spirit Wreath
November 20, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...