A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
212 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did I screw this one up? LOL! PICS! COMPLETED!  (Read 9293 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Joeythegirl
In Highschool, they called me Satan.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 24, 2007 07:57:43 PM »

I thought I was kickin' ass and takin' names on my first time ever following a pattern for a baby blanket (my baby brother is expecting a baby boy in June).  

I should warn you, I'm a beginner crocheter. Until last week I only knew one stitch, SC. I've made lots of scarfs and only one childs blanket and it's not quite finished. "S&B Happy Hooker" taught me all the other stitches and how to read a pattern.

On to my blunder...
It's a simple rectangle, super easy right?  Well I thought I had chained my first row too tight because each new row seemed so much looser and longer, then I decided to count the stitches. (Who needs to count stitches when making a simple rectangle?) Apparently me, I started out with 74 per the pattern, row 24 ended up with 97ish stitches! OOPS! I had actually increased on every row and didn't notice! I'm so retarded.  Enjoy the pics:

Here's the pattern I'm following, looking good right?

I obviously used blue instead of pink for a boy and dark grey instead of black because I didn't have any baby soft black hanging around the house.

OOPS!
I unraveled all but the first two rows and started over. I'll post pics when I'm all done.
Now I'm a little scared to attempt the hat, but I will.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007 02:02:40 AM by Joeythegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joeythegirl - SugarMama Extraordinaire
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007 08:02:59 PM »

I think that increasing  each row is probably the most common error for a beginner.  Make sure that if you are using dc (for example), after you chain 2 at the end of the row it counts as your first stitch.  So when you turn your work, you make your first dc on top of the second stitch of the previous row.  But it looks great otherwise!  All of your stitches are nice and even and I love the colors you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danaisradxcore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007 08:45:14 PM »

poo... i think i'm making the same mistake... haha. at least i'm only 6 rows in...

nevermind... i just counted the last row i did and it's the same as the first... so i should be good..  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007 08:49:26 PM by danaisradxcore » THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombiexgirl
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007 08:50:34 PM »

Even though it increases, I still think it looks pretty dang good! I like the color combination. Can't wait to see it when it's done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\m/(>_<)\m/
Ska Hippie
Ambitious Amateur at Everything

~Add a lil *color* to your life~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007 09:02:16 PM »

It looks absolutely fine!!  Grin

I'm making the opposite mistake with my baby blanket, lol. It's my first crochet project, and I'm not going by a pattern, nor do I really know what I'm doing, lol. Mine keep getting more narrow somehow, even though I've been trying to make it wider:

So, don't feel bad, LOL!!! Grin I told my friend (who I'm making the blanket for) that it would make for a nice insulation if she were to put it underneath another blanket; or it could also be used as decoration underneath some trinkets on a shelf, hehehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joeythegirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007 10:01:06 PM »

I think that increasing  each row is probably the most common error for a beginner.  Make sure that if you are using dc (for example), after you chain 2 at the end of the row it counts as your first stitch.  So when you turn your work, you make your first dc on top of the second stitch of the previous row.  But it looks great otherwise!  All of your stitches are nice and even and I love the colors you chose.

Yep, I realized that was my problem. I actually kept streching the bottom row wondering why it was narrower. Oh well now I know and I'll do it right this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007 05:57:31 AM »

Another good tip is to make the beginning chain with a hook size larger than you're using for the rest of the blanket. That way, the beginning chain will be stretchy enough to be the same size as the other rows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do it big, do it right, and do it with style. Fred Astaire
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 07:17:36 AM »

Shocked I've been crocheting since I was 9 (i'm 26 now) and I never even thought of of using a bigger hook for the chain- DUH!  You know how most patterns start with saying to chain xx stitches "LOOSELY" and I always think, "I'm TRYING to chain LOOSELY, but after 17 years I can't change my tension for one row!!"  I'm so going to crochet something today, something awesome where the first row is the exact same width as the second row because I USED A BIGGER HOOK!  Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JayJay

The Incognito Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007 11:17:13 AM »

I'm a fairly experienced crocheter (although I'm fairly rusty since I haven't done it in years) and I ended up increasing occasionally too, so don't feel bad.  It really drives home the lesson about counting your stitches, though. Tongue

I am also eager to try the large hook foundation row trick.  What a good idea, especially for clothing items!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skill, Sharing, Courage, and Joy - Motto of the Special Olympics (and the Special Knitting Olympics)

Visit my knitting blog: http://trouble-with-trebles.blogspot.com/
Joeythegirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007 05:56:04 PM »

So I'm still working on the blanket, but I got bored for a minute so I decided to try out the hat. I've made two, because I messed up the color pattern, not that it really mattered but I also screwed up the slip stitch at color changes and added a stitch instead. I corrected everything on the 2nd hat.  What do you think?

Here's the hat with mistakes:

Here's the hat with no mistakes:

And for fun...one on the dog:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...