A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
291 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered Book and ring holder!  (Read 2398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 21, 2007 05:24:48 PM »

I made this altered book for my husband's birthday last year. He went to a High School that everyone called "Prep" so when I found a book called something like "Frank at Prep" I figured I had to do it. I copied pages from his 1972 high school yearbook on paper
 and transparencies. I used gel to glue it all down with tissue paper, home made paper, dyed napkins, a bit of this and that. I also found pictures of guitars and bands he had liked since he and his friends were musicians.I used a transparency of his face over Jack Kerouac's high school picture since he is one of his heroes(check out my poetry fence in the garden art section Smiley)
I cut out the back pages to make a niche and covered it with the sheet music to Chuck Berry's "School Days" then painted an Altoid box gold and glued a key to the cover. Inside I glued a tiny mirror and put in his high school class ring.

My camera is cheapo, :
http://photobucket.com/albums/w67/balkandina/th_alteredbooktracy001-1.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/w67/balkandina/th_alteredbooktracy004.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/w67/balkandina/th_alteredbooktracy005.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/w67/balkandina/th_alteredbooktracy006.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/w67/balkandina/th_alteredbooktracy003.jpg

so I'm sorry the pix aren't great, but I think you get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 09:02:57 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: attempted to fix photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
losing.penny
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007 06:00:50 PM »

uhm on every link i clicked it said "sorry the page you have requested cannot be found" or something like that. it sounds so cool and i wanna see it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to have a high conception, not of what you are doing, but of what you may do one day: without that, there's no point in working." ~Edgar Degas
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007 07:13:02 PM »

Okay-I'll try to fix it...I just (supposedly) learned how to post photos Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
losing.penny
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007 07:25:09 PM »

okay well, i just went to your photobucket and looked at the pics. it's really cool! did your husband love it? Smiley

(if you want to post them just copy and paste the url. it looks like when you posted them in the first post, you pasted them twice on the same line...or something. lol i can do it if you want me to.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You have to have a high conception, not of what you are doing, but of what you may do one day: without that, there's no point in working." ~Edgar Degas
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007 07:38:17 PM »

I still don't know how I double pasted...I feel really dumb Embarrassed
My husband LOVEDthe book-after you've been together over 20 years you kind of need original ideas for presents!!It was a total surprise for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007 12:39:25 PM »

I think I finally figured out, with help, how to get the pictures in this!!
ooktracy004.jpg[/IMG]

Now if I can just get a better camera... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hydro
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007 11:59:14 AM »

That's such a cool project!  And very "guy-friendly." (I've learned from personal experience how hard it can be to make altered books for guys!)  Smiley Good job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DebbieJ
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007 12:40:31 PM »

I love this!  I wish I had done something like this befor our house got broken into and DHs senior ring got stolen.  Also his tiger's eye ring that his dad (now deceased) got when he was stationed in Japan.

I am so envious of your talent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie J
Homegrown Texan
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007 07:55:59 PM »

Thanks...and sorry about the break-in.How about making a papier mache version of the ring? Is that too tacky?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DebbieJ
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007 11:37:45 AM »

The ring that bothered ME the most to lose was the Tiger's eye. =(  It fit me perfectly and I wore it.  The worst part of the break-in was that I was at my church working on our Ladies' Spring Awakening.  It was to be the next night.  I don't know how to do paper mache, so I guess that is out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie J
Homegrown Texan
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...