A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 311,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
285 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are your garments "finished" on the inside?  (Read 5695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollygo
« on: March 20, 2007 02:41:55 PM »

I'm a sort of haphazard seamstress, and I've never finished the insides of my garments because 1) I'm lazy and 2) I figure no one will see them anyway. 

But I have this idea, possibly erroneous, that all the better seamstresses out there (or in here) have nice neat pretty garment insides, either because they finish them with seam binding or something, or they use a serger (which I don't have) or they are just a bit more skilled at sewing than I am and the garment insides just come out better looking to begin with than mine.

So do others finish their garment "guts"?  If so, how?  Is it difficult or time-consuming?  Or do your garments just turn out looking sort of nice on the inside because of the way you sew in general?  Do these questions even make sense?  I'm just really curious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldencrafter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 04:09:03 PM »

I finish anything that is going to fray. I too was lazy when I started sewing but I quickly learned the hard way. The easiest is to first sew the seam and then just sew a zig zag on the edge, it takes some getting used to but it really is worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pheather

I am full of p and v....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007 04:29:29 PM »

I would recommend at least using pinking shears.  But the seam then zig zag is really easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

___sixtilsunday

Nouveau de Bohme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007 04:44:48 PM »

Sometimes I finish and sometimes I don't. I really depends on the and/or if I'm selling it or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
http://ylaine.etsy.com !!
Elphelba
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007 04:46:12 PM »

I always finish my seams if the fabric is going to fray. There's nothing more dissapointing than having a beautiful garment that shreds because the work isn't finished well. Garments with finished seams last longer. With my old machine I used the zigzag stitch. My new machine has an overedge stitch which looks about like a serge finish. The overedge seems to work better imho, because it completely binds the edge of the fabric, so if you have it, I would suggest using it. If you don't, the zigzag is a perfectly fine alternative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
___sixtilsunday

Nouveau de Bohme

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007 05:02:24 PM »

Elphelba, what kind of sewing machine do you have/use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
http://ylaine.etsy.com !!
pip0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 05:53:33 PM »

I always finish my seams, regardless of whether or not the fabric will fray, but I have a serger so that makes things pretty easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyno
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007 06:27:20 PM »

this may help: so does everyone finish their seams?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007 06:47:18 PM »

I finish stuff for other people, usually by zigzagging the seam allowances or enclosing the seams (French seams or flatfell, though I usually consider that to be too much work). For my stuff, it really depends. I tend to finish the seams in skirts now to keep fraying strings from showing past the hem.

I've noticed that the garments that I finish the seams on tend to fit better (not because I finish the seams, but because the ones I finish the seams on are ones that I worked harder on the fit, I think).  That being said, after a few bad experiences with the seam ripper, I always try it on and make all my adjustments before I finish the seams, or I finish each seam allowance individually (instead of zigzagging both sides together, I'll zigzag each one separately). I have a serger, but I haven't got the knack of it yet, so I don't usually use it.

The last skirt I made, I didn't finish the seams, but 1) it was a knit so it won't shred, and 2) it was a "there's no clean skirts, and it takes longer to get something through the dryer than it does to make one, AND there's a pattern I kind of want to try..), so I made it, put it on (still not hemmed) and went out to walk the dog.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 08:01:10 PM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007 07:40:38 PM »

french seams are awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Curtain Rods
Tute Tuesday: Fold Out ATC
I'm Meltingggg!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...