A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
192 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The ultimate chewy soft chocolate chip cookie!  (Read 1563 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate_chip_cookie , chocolate_chip  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
bigeyes
« on: March 14, 2007 11:46:46 PM »

I have been on a quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie for the longest time.   I worked with a woman years ago who made the best ones I'd had up to then, but she used butter flavored crisco, and as a thyroid disease sufferer, I avoid soy like the plague.  Butter made the best tasting chocolate chip cookies ever, but they spread out too much, and if I underbaked them enough to be soft, they'd fall apart.

I watched Alton Brown's show about the chocolate chip cookie, and I was sure 'the chewy' recipe available on his site was the one.

I tried it, and it was close, but I made a couple of small changes as follows.   

His recipe is here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13617,00.html

I changed the flour amount to 2 cups, then whirled some dry oatmeal in my food processor until it was almost dust.  I added 1/2 c of the powder with the flour.  Instead of the large ice cream scoop, I used a small cookie dropper.  I chilled the dough just enough that it didn't spread out on the parchment paper immediately after scooping.  Then, I put all of the cookie blobs on 1 sheet of parchment on a cookie sheet and popped them into the freezer till the next morning.
I removed them from the paper and put most of them in a ziploc that I returned to the freezer.  The first dozen I baked from frozen at 375, turning the cookie sheet after 5 minutes, and checking again at somewhere between 8 and 10 minutes.  When they are just barely dry/set but not overly browned, remove from oven, and cool the entire sheet on a rack for 2 to 5 minutes more.  Then remove to wire rack to finish cooling (if they last that long.) 

the only thing that could make this better would be if I could make them just a tad thicker, but if I add any more oatmeal it tastes like an oatmeal cookie.

I also have discovered that if I leave the dough in the freezer, some days they bake better at 350, other days they come out fine at 375.   when in doubt, 350 is safer. 

Cool
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007 06:48:11 PM by bigeyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
aleirey
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007 06:44:52 PM »

I am glad that I am not the only one who has been looking for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe! I thought that maybe I was crazy for not being satisfied with the recipe on the back of the bag.  I love Alton Brown and I am going to test out this recipe tomorrow! Thanks for the tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful."
John Constable
bigeyes
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007 06:56:41 PM »

I've been on that quest for years.  when I use the recipe on the bag they spread out too much.

I have long suspected that places like Mrs. Fields aren't telling the truth when they list their ingredients. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aleirey
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007 06:59:17 PM »

Mine either come out too cakey or spread out too much, it is hard to find a good balance.  I have always suspected that the secret ingrediant in Mrs Fields is crack. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful."
John Constable
bigeyes
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007 07:26:37 PM »

That would make sense!  Have you ever noticed most of the cookies are only good warm?  Kinda like crack, so I hear. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie
@Home This Weekend: Door Decor

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...