A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
196 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: SAFETY ISSUE: baking poison oven?  (Read 867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: March 14, 2007 03:19:53 AM »

I was browsing online, and someone said:

Oven that had been used for baking shrink plastic, cannot be re-use to bake food again, because it's poisonous.

Is this true?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007 03:22:29 AM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
likes shiny things
Offline Offline

Posts: 868
Joined: 01-Mar-2007

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007 06:59:07 AM »

Well, I've used our home oven for shrink plastic, Fimo etc. often enough, and as yet no-one has died. Roll Eyes

I don't see why this would be an issue unless you maybe do something supremely stupid like put the plastic straight on the oven shelf so it melts and sticks and burns... and then you either a) clean the shelf or b) replace the shelf. These things don't usually produce fumes at all if used properly, and even then there's no reason it should do any permanent damage.

These things are designed to be used by kids and usually have a label saying "non-toxic" on them somewhere. I'd suggest that this was just a bit of panic-mongering, myself.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007 07:07:35 AM »

Baking plastic may (or may not) release toxic fumes, depending on what type of plastic and what temp you're using.  So probably not a great idea to stand around in the kitchen inhaling deeply while melting stuff... and yeah, you should make sure you have good ventilation.

But the fumes will dissipate, not cling permanently to the oven.

If you're really worried about it, you could get a little toaster oven at a yard sale and use it for crafty stuff and your real oven for food stuff.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007 07:19:58 AM »

i thought fimo and premo and sculpy are non-toxic unless you burn it, and i bet shrinkydinks are non-toxic as well; but you definitely should read the packaging of the items you purchase, and you should follow the directions carefully.

also, you should use different tools and supplies- for instance, don't use the same pasta machine for fimo as for fettuccini.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007 08:51:28 AM »

I've melted all kinds of plastic in my oven and neither me or my husband has died yet. Now granted I DO open the kitchen door, turn on the exhaust fan, and open the kitchen windows even if it is snowing outside becuase that stuff STINKS.

I also have special baking pans that I only use for plastics.

And it's a good idea to give your oven a good scrub now and then even if you don't melt plastic in it  Grin

I was off to save the world....until I was distracted by something shiny.
Diane B.
Offline Offline

Posts: 5077
Joined: 01-May-2004

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007 12:24:50 PM »

I can't say for sure about other plastics, but this issue has been discussed several times before on the Polymer Clay board and other places here.   Also, be aware that there are two separate issues... smells and vaporized plasticizer:

Here's the thread with the most info:

The bottom line though is that it's fine to bake in a regular oven as long as you aren't doing a lot of clay baking, in which case you'd want to use another oven (or even things like an electric roaster or skillet), or you'd want to do one of the several types of "enclosed" baking.
(see this page for more on both those things:
..... and btw, if you really cleaned your oven, you'd probably be getting unhealthier fumes from the oven cleaner than from the clay)

Here's the page to check out for lots more on the "safety" of polymer clay though (as well as the summary in the Craftster link):

(as for shrink plastic, I would assume the same general things apply... but I've only used my toaster oven a few times with it --and use just my regular for-food one)


Diane B.

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007 02:46:15 PM »

I agree with everyone else. Shrinky dinks have been used for years in homes by way of ovens.  If it were toxic it would say so on the box not to use your home oven.  I don't think it is harmful to use your home oven.  If that were the case then all crafters would have to have 2 ovens and that is just not feasible  Grin.  It is, however, always a good idea to keep crafting utensils, pots, pans, etc. separate from your baking utensils, pots, pans, etc. This is because of residue build up and such. You would not want your yummy cookies to taste like plastic!  Good luck and have fun!

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.