A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
201 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your thoughts on color and marketing, please  (Read 906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2007 02:38:00 PM »

What colors do you use to market your goods? I'm interested in colors used for packaging, table displays, logos, and so forth, and how it's affected by what you sell and the market you're aiming for. I've been using a deep burgundy, but I don't think it's really doing the job.... Might be saying 'too expensive' when customers look at it, I don't know.

I'm very confused by all the reading I've been doing on this subject and I feel that real-life experiences would be very helpful. Thus, I turn to my fellow craftsters. Smiley

I have people telling me that blue is universally good, that everything shows well on blue... but what shade of blue??

There's a lady telling me that virtually everything she puts on seafoam green sells... and the only color scheme I can come up with that harmonizes is black, white, seafoam, and apricot... and that kind of seems southwestern to me.

I want my displays to say 'beautiful but not overpriced, funky, youthful, feminine but not girly, unique'. My target market is college age to middle age, individualistic, likely to be vegetarian/ buy organic, into recycling/ reusing, with a taste for edgy accessories. If my displays look too upscale, or too down-market, I'll miss my target.

I imagine I'll have to try lots of different stuff, but I am really interested in hearing about your experiences with using color in display. What didn't work? What did?

Thank you so much for your input. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007 11:36:23 AM »

Based on your description the first thought that jumped into my head was the light brown/tannish color of a paper grocery sack.

Maybe use natural sand, rock colors (light baiges, cremes) and one other bright color as accent.

Maybe the apricot accenting to have the girly part?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007 02:22:37 PM »

I would say it depends a lot on the look you've chosen for your logo and accompanying materials, and...what you sell because I don't know any of these things.

I know plenty of veggie types who go ga-ga over jewel tones and the 60s Neu Retro, and if you're leaning on the young side you're naturally (oh, there's a pun!) attracted to vibrancy.

I would say do the opposite: create a bold color statement with a side of natural.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LSTinVA
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007 02:30:22 PM »

I think the seafoam green phenomenon is becuase it looks like TIffany's packaging!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rogue Butterfly
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007 08:21:25 AM »

Two color schemes jump to my mind -
To emphasize your "natrual-ness" use browns, beiges, light bright blues like sky and cobalt, and maybe springy greens.
To catch your audiences eye - jewel tones, bright greens or blues as your base with yellow, red, pink, or orange as accent colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007 03:02:43 PM »

Wow.... Thanks for the feedback, everyone. All your thoughts have given me some great ideas. I'm going to work up some color schemes over the weekend and post them. Hopefully we'll have a winner soon. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...