A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
195 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling To Friends  (Read 2191 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2007 11:36:50 AM »

Recently I made cute totebags for two of my friends so they could shove all their school books and such into them. I usually sell them at various craft fairs, online, consignment shops, ect. for $15-$25 each. But being that they're friends of mine and they were simple to make, I just gave the bags to them for free.

Well another girl who I'm loosely friends with saw the bags and asked me to make her one as well. I have no problem with that except she expects me to give it to her for free too. I barely know her and see know reason as to why I shouldn't charge her.

But i don't want to seem rude in asking her to pay me when I gave two away. I don't want to lose business by refusing to make her one either. Should I give her a discount or make her pay full price??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville still rocks

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007 03:04:09 PM »

Give her a discount. Let her know that if others want them it will be at the full price, so she doesn't go around saying, 'oh you can get one too for only ten bucks' or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pretty hate machine
Lady Disillusion

Still I fly...still I fall.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007 03:12:24 PM »

Those are so awful situations, I had to do favors for people who thought they deserved them all the time, nasty. But I have to agree with homebunnyj here, giving a discount would be the 'right' way.
Though I couldn't do that, being an overly polite and shy person. I probably would 'revenge' by using some horrible fabric. But I'm not advicing you to...!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

[revenge is the best revenge]
My still small wist!
stereoette
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007 05:08:16 PM »

I think that you might just explain that the two bags you gave away were presents, and you'd be happy to make her one (a) for your usual price or (b) if she provided the materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.stereoette.com

handmade with my headphones on
LilMissPink
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007 11:13:26 AM »

don't give her a discount. I sell things to my friends all the time, 'full price'. if your bags are only like 20 bucks then that is cheap enough because most bags are at least 25 bucks in any store. when my friends buy my bthing suits they pay me 40 bucks no problem, which is a lot more to pull out of the pocket but if i sold my bathing suits online or anywhere else id charge 80 bucks at least. anything less than what youre selling now won't get you enough profits, and if you arent friends with somebody, tell them that you sell your bags and you gave those away for free because youve been best friends with them for your whole life or etc. dont feel bad because you cant be best friends with everyone in the world anyway. i also agree with stereoette's ideas aswell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody likes pink. People who think otherwise are in denial.
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007 01:19:16 PM »

i'd say give her a discount, but like someone else said, tell her that the other two were presents, and if anybody else wants one, they'll have to pay full price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julie P!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007 01:36:21 PM »

I actually had the same thing happen to me when i was in high school! Eek. I told her i would be more than happy to make it for her if she supplied the fabric lol i didn't seem rude because I made it seem like I wante to make her something that I knew she would love and in order to do that I wanted her to choose the fabric.. needless to say, she decided she didn't want it anymore when she had to pay for something. Sad or maybe she didn't really want it to begin with? idrc lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muffins_Goes_RAWR
Don't get your bloomers in a bunch.

Glamour is art and I am my own work of art.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007 07:54:39 PM »

Thank you all for your great advice!! I think I will give her a discount. But I'm just hoping and praying that she won't go blabbing to everyone that I gave her a better price while others paid more. Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days, that are the most intriguing." - Alexander Wang
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007 04:56:29 AM »

You might also want to tell the other freeb recipients not to tell people they got them for free. Friends can think they do you a favor by "sending" you a creative outlet, but they need to be aware you're not just in it for fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AndreaLynn
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007 08:13:49 AM »

I would charge full price...business is business...unless you think she will be good advertising and go around recommending you to other people (adversiting FULL price) - then I'd say maybe throw in a discount. Unfortunately I've been in the situation too many times where I get taken advantage of because I don't want to upset anyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...