A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,641
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me find these "galosh hooks"  (Read 830 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: March 03, 2007 04:44:55 PM »

I am working on a costume pattern, and it calls for hooks that look like this:

(hosted at http://www.flickr.com/)

The person who made the photos called them "galosh hooks".  I have not had any luck finding them locally, and when I try searching Google I don't find anything useful. Perhaps "galosh hooks" is just this person's term for these hooks? Any help you can provide on either a source for buying these or at least a different name to call them would be appreciated!

I Poke You With Sticks
Offline Offline

Posts: 866
Joined: 16-May-2004

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007 05:38:46 PM »

I tried and tried...  I looked on google, in wikipedia, on Joanns and a few other notions websites- I even looked on the Dritz site to no avail. I couldn't find another name for these.

I CAN, however, help you out in a small way..... I can explain why the original author called them galosh hooks.
When I was much younger (I am almost 31 now) I had a yellow rubberized raincoat and yellow galoshes that came in a set. Both the coat and the boots had these hooks that youy have pictured on them because it was believed in the 80's that little kid fingers could work them better than snaps and zippers. This is most likely why she called them galosh hooks, since they once appeared on galoshes.

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007 05:45:24 PM »

Thanks for the help!  Smiley

Maybe I need to look at shoemaking supplies.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007 05:54:23 PM by Radegund » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007 06:40:26 PM »

I think they might be called buckles more often than hooks.  I've only seen them used in theater/costuming, so a theater supply place might be a possibility? 

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.  ~ Dali
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.