A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
155 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting rid of black heads and pimples  (Read 11475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
anjalita
bellamonkee

Crafty wench...yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005 10:08:21 AM »

A great natural remedy is to a) drink half a cup of 100% Aloe Juice in  your orange juice each day (You have to mix well and CHUG, because it tastes HEINOUS) and then with a cotton ball, massage aloe juice directly onto your face. Follow with a skin-friendly lightly scented moisturizer, because the aloe smells heinous too! BUT IT WORKS A MIRACLE, I tells ya. My skin GLOWS GLOWS GLOWS, girrrrrls, seriously. Remember to exfoliate to keep the icky pore blockers at bay.

Keep the Aloe refrigerated. Use daily, you will make me your queen, I swear.

Other skin friendly things are to eat yogurt with all the natural little bacteria cultures in it. I am NOT a health freak (every now and then I pretend to become more serious about it) but honestly, twinkies do nothing for your face...as Kim Possible's dad says : "Candy is Dandy, but fruit helps you poop". Why do I bring this up? If your body is happy and going through its,  errrm, functions normally, your skin will thank you.

But take this from someone who IS chocolate addicted. Sweet, sweet chocolate. I fight little skin boogers all the time. But with the aloe, I REALLY tell a MAJOR difference. Lemme know if you do it, and what you think...it will take about a week to REALLY start telling a difference, but it will happen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soapers, Join me at the Whisk! www.the-whisk.us best soaping forum...EVER!

Remember you are a star. Never go across the alley even to dump garbage
unless you are dressed to the teeth. -- Cecil B. DeMille
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2005 01:57:25 AM »

Cheesy That quote is hilarious! By the way with the chocolate thing, it's been proven that acne is not caused by food.

BUT it could be caused by stress, lack of sleep, and it is definetely hereditary. So most likely if mom and dad had it bad your face is pretty sad. (well looky there! I made a phrase too) I'm one of the cursed with bad skin.

Aloe vera juice doesn't taste THAT bad! I dunno what you bought, but I got an aloe vera JUICE DRINK and it tastes like a strange lemon 7-up flavor with a little aftertaste which isn't too bad.

I just bought proactiv and it seems to help me a little. For one thing, my skin is less bumpy and uneven...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2005 08:48:40 PM »

Just thought I'd mention in response to the "use an anti-bacterial soap" suggestion that anti-bacterial soaps are actually BAD for your skin, and for most things in general.  By using anti-bacterial products, we are actually helping to create bacteria resistent to our conventional anti-bacterial agents, which can cause big problems in places it actually matters, like hospitals.  Thoroughly washing with regular soap or cleansers and lots of water works just as well as anti-bacterial cleansers, and less "bad stuff" goes into the environment.

I had killer acne for most of my teenage years (bad enough that I was on a series of five different presciption-only solutions).  Some of my suggestions:

1) Keep your hair off your face and stop touching your face.  This prevents oils and gunk from being transferred to your face.
2) Wash your face no more than twice a day.  Rinse with plain water at other times if it makes you feel less gross, but washing your face too often will strip it of oils, causing your skin to produce even more oil in response.  Use a mild cleanser - my derm had me using a very mild and inexpensive cleanser called Cetaphil (in Canada, it is available at Costco and any pharmacy or drug store).
3) Change your pillowcase often.  This seems strange, but it helps keep oils and gunk off your face.  Use a breathable fabric (eg, cotton), and change it every 2-3 days.  If you have problems with body acne, change all of your sheets this often.
4) Keep your phone clean.  This is important if you seem to always get acne on your chin, however stupid it sounds.  Try wiping with rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol.
5) If you want, you can spot-treat problem areas.  For cystic acne, try benzoyl peroxide (no more than 5%, but start with a lower concentration).  For blackheads/whiteheads, use something with salicylic acid.  Unless your acne is really bad, I wouldn't use these all over your face (or even all over the T-zone) as it can cause over-drying.  A less chemical-filled option would to be to dab a little bit of tea tree oil on with a cotton swab (or you can buy acne treatment sticks that are tea-tree based).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CinnaOfDoom
Future Domestic Goddess

obsessed.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005 07:09:29 AM »

Grapefruit Seed Extract works wonders as a spot treatment. Even if you picked at the spot until its all gross, it'll heal super fast (swear it).
My skin gets pretty funky when the seasons change, so to avoid intense changes I keep my skin moisturized (at least once a day). Avoid any harsh face cleaners, if your face is stripped of all the oil, your pores will work overtime to compensate. Its a rather vicious cycle.
And if you've been told once, I'm sure you've been told a thousand times, drink enough water (64 +/- ounces a day). You skin will feel and look so much better, not just acne but texture too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting my way into the heart of a generation.
Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005 01:22:15 AM »

Hmmm...Lack of sleep?  I sleep all day and PARTAY all night.  Could that cause it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RachOfTheJungle
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005 09:00:32 PM »

Sealed blackheads?

What are those, exactly? I am 20 and the only blemishes I have anymore (thank god, I used to get 'em bad! there is an end to it all!) are those tiny damned blackheads on my nose.

How do I get rid of the little jerks? Or how woud a professional do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rockin' knitting shirts I designed:

http://www.cafepress.com/stitchnsnitch
Sabrinas_Charm
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005 04:22:45 PM »

Last month on the glitter boardsI saw a recipe for an aspirin toner and mask for clearing up acne, and after using it for several weeks I am happy to say that IT ROCKS! And the best part is it costs about $2 to make.

Asprin contains salicylic acid, one of two popular ingredients that kill the bacteria that cause acne, benzoyl peroxide being the other. Some people are allergic or sensitive to benzoyl peroxide, and can't use products containing it, making salicylic acid a great alternative.

Asprin Toner recipe

mix together:
10 aspirin, crushed to a powder in a mortar and pestle
3 oz. Witch Hazel
1 tsp. Aloe Vera gel

Shake and use! Apply with a cottonball. The aspirin will remain gritty in the solution, so to avoid getting the grit on your face, use the other side of the cotton ball to wipe your face.

Aspirin mask recipe

mix together:
10 crushed aspirin
1 tbsp. bentonite clay powder (I get mine in the bulk section of the food co-op)
1 tsp. or so Witch Hazel

mix together and apply to face and neck. Wipe off with a wet cloth when dry.

These two mixtures seriously work and are very gentle to skin.

Other products that are good for acne prone skin are Cetaphil daily cleanser and St. Ive's medicated Apricot Scrub.

This works really well for me too. I use the "grit"  at the bottom as a scrub. Also I mix a few asprin with a few drops of Witch Hazel and mix it with the Queen Helenes Mint mask and then wash it off using a face cloth after about 10-15 mins.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

HelenaJane

I am Vodkasan Tobacci Tao!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2005 04:27:13 PM »

Oooh! I'm 31 and I STILL get zits! I'm going to try the aloe vera as well as the apirin recipes, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog! KNITTING FOR BOOZEHAGS....
www.knittingforboozehags.com
Brewster

I have a very hot man in my av. With eyes or not!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2005 04:42:26 PM »

Well, I bought some cleansing ckear or something, nuetregina or something similar.  Just makes my skin come back twice as oily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laruewalters60
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2005 09:53:09 PM »

i've always used my mother's solution.  just wash your face with dial soap and use camphor phenque on any pimples or blackheads.  it really works, i'm 61 yrs old and both my daughter and son always dis same and have beautiful skin.  you think that it is too oily, but just the opposite, it is drying and drys up same.  especially for oily skin.  just pen hair back and do before going to bed.  even my son did that and penned his hair back, off his forehead and it worked.  try it, as you must have problems or you woulded be reading this.  remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!  let me know how great your skin cleared up.  by the way, older bottles of camphor phenque said to be used for acne, athletes feet, cold sores, gums (it numbs them,too),,,, insect bites, mouth ulcers, burns, minor, etc.   if i only had one medicine that i could afford, it would be camphor phenque. for most every minor emergency. larue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...