A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
289 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: t-shirt recons: which book, Generation T or 99 Ways? book reviews?  (Read 2951 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
dyno
« on: February 20, 2007 11:13:10 AM »

I've been wanting to pick up a t-shirt mod/recon book just for some inspiration. These are the 2 most mentioned and I'm hoping to get some recomendations on which to buy:

Generation T: 108 Ways to Transform a T-Shirt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761137858/ref=pd_cp_b_title/102-8305164-6056966

99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim, and Tie Your T-Shirt into Somethin
http://www.amazon.com/Ways-Trim-T-Shirt-Something-Special/dp/0307345564/ref=pd_sim_b_2/102-8305164-6056966g Special

I've tried doing a book review search on these and have gotten nowhere. I only found 2 reviews online and they appeared to be by late/middle aged homemakers who were not in any way the target for this book and spent most of the reviews discussing how the book showed too much skin. The whole point of DIY t-shirt design seemed to be lost on them so the reviews were useless. I'd appreciate any input you have. Smiley

...addendum: the amazon pages have reviews, but there wasn't anything there that could help me decide on one book over the other. mostly just "cool book!" general statements.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 12:17:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mezzi
Almost Cool

Use your *imagination*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007 05:05:08 PM »

I'm not a big fan of generation t. It's okay if you are just starting, but you'll progress quickly. Most aren't hemmed, terribly simple, and aren't made for girls with many curves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyno
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007 05:19:55 PM »

thanks for the reply. Smiley I read that many of the shirts aren't seam finished on the amazon reviews. but that  makes sense to me because sewing jersey is difficult for a beginner so the focus of the book is design, not stitching -- just ways for the average novice person to get quick results.

I know how to sew so I don't plan to go "ok, today I'll do page 45". If I were to make one of the shirts I'd most likely modify it and sew it properly. I'm mostly looking for some new ways to approach tees. Smiley

have you read 99? or do you have other suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ooranoke
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007 05:30:00 PM »

I liked Generation T, it definatly has alot of visual appeal. It also has skirt and accesory projects, while 99 Ways doesn't

However, I believe that 99 Ways would last longer, because you do progress quite quickly with Generation T.

I would also reccomend checking to see if your public library has either of these books or others like it, they're normally placed with the sewing books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
      - J.R.R. Tolkein
casmuffin
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007 06:10:43 PM »

I've skimmed through both books and own Generation T. Personally, after having it for about a month i've basically pulled away from the book because there aren't a lot of things that i'd actually wear.. but overall I was pleased because of all the things you can do.. if that makes any sense.

Generation T has things other than tops to reconstruct like skirts and pillows, while 99 Ways majority is turning a t-shirt into another top. I liked 99 Ways.. but the downside was it only had illustrations and no photos of the instructions or the finished project, so I was unsure how they really turned out.

I believe the biggest difference between the two is this: Generation T has more ideas than just shirts, like skirts and accesories, while 99 Ways has 99 ways (there is actually one that turns a tee into a tote) to turn a t-shirt into a more feminine top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxclone_your_loverxx
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007 07:13:07 PM »

I have Generation T and I absolutely LOVE it. I modify all of them though to my specific likings but its GREAT for inspiration. I definitely recommend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Janny-Poo
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007 09:02:47 PM »

Gen T was a waste of money, i read great reviews on it so i purchased it over the internet and was beyond dissapointed when it arrived.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007 09:21:00 PM »

I'm not familiar with 99 but Gen T can be disappointing. Especially if you have any meat on your body. A lot of the designs aren't bosom friendly. At the same time, it does have the nifty skirt designs which are pretty fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
dyno
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007 10:50:59 PM »

thanks so much for the input. Smiley

Janny-Poo,
why where you disappointed?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DRivero

I'm just your basic world-class Samantha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007 08:13:43 AM »

I have both, and I like Gen T.  99 Ways only has semi-abstract drawings, not photos, of what the finished product will look like, plus it's 99% shirts.  I like the styles in Gen T better; more variety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye; then hey, free eyeball!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...