A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,843
Currently Running With Scissors:
276 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing slippery satin if you haven't done it in a LONG time???  (Read 824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 19, 2007 09:14:48 PM »

I have always thought of myself as a decent lower-middle level seamstress, but I am not a "sewing" student or perfectionist. To be honest I drag my sewing machine out about once a year now to sew projects for my kids....anyways... I am making a 19th century reproduction costume for my middle school daughter 's history day costume and I am having a terrible time. It  is Simplicity 4079. I am making it short sleeved without the puffed sleeves and it is in polyester satin... Boy, that bodice was nearly impossible to figure out, but I think it is ok now. SO>>> should I have sewn it over tissue paper? It puckers a lot. I have just been pulling the threads and I know that I will be covering the puckers with hand sewn lace...but , is there a better way???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007 09:57:14 PM »

I've run into the same experience but it can be minimized by holding the faric behind and in front with a very even stretch or pull. you also have to use a brand new needle usually a 10 or 12. Also make sure it's a ball point. be sure there is no burr on  your throat plate as well. I had broken so many needles over the time and the hole the needle went into got very rough. hope this helps some
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007 06:47:20 PM by junquette » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Topstitchgirl

Canuck Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007 04:53:52 AM »

The tissue paper over and under the fabric will also help with the sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop www.ariadneknits.com!

My blog: www.topstitchgirl.blogspot.com

"My head's on straight but my heart's a little banged up"
-Peter Mackay
BlkRze
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007 05:48:43 AM »

Yeah just use the tissue paper method and pin well (within your seam allowance so you dont get pin marks in your satin.If you do just run your nail across the fabric grain on the wrong side of the fabric)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007 06:25:20 AM »

Holding the fabric tight as it's sewn is one good trick, already mentioned.  Using a good quality long staple polyester thread such as Mettler of Gutterman also helps.  Using a finer machine needle can help when sewing satin. If you are familiar and comfortable with adjusting the tension setting on your machine, loosening both the top and bottom tension can reduce puckering. That was can take a bit of fiddling and testing to get the tensions correct. Only do that if you are comfortable with adjust you machine settings!  Also pressing can help stretch out some of the puckers, but take care the you don't stretch the garment out of shape.  I use a barely damp press cloth on the wrong side and nine times out of ten I can get the puckers out.  I think some one mentioned checking for burrs on the throat plate.  And sometimes satin can just be a plain old pain in the **** to sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007 06:07:18 PM »

Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been busy sewing!! Thanks for all of the advice. I finished the dress and she made the state finals!! I'm assuming that it was due to her great research on Baby Doe Tabor, but I did notice several comments from judges on her historically correct (non-puckered!) costume. I will try to figure out how to post photos to show it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007 07:46:11 PM »

Here's the final project...I think I figured out how to upload photos finally Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...