A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 315,934
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Your Ideal Tea-Towel?  (Read 71506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
knittertoo
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007 12:25:02 PM »

I actually really like the ones that come in the stitch it kit - for weight and such but I agree that they aren't as absorbant as they could be.  I've stitched some store bought ones that are too flimsy and the pictures end up looking like they've spent time in a fun house.  I have had fairly good success with using restaraunt napkins (found a set of 12 cotton ones @ Home Goods for $10) but they are also a bit thinner than I'd like.  I LOVE having these around the kitchen (to change with the seasons, of course) and an absorbant, tightly woven, soft one would be ideal!

Thanks Jenny, as always!
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcakeguru
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007 12:02:10 PM »

I bought the flour sack towels from Joann.  I like them better than the ones in the stitch it kit because they are heavier.  You can use them to dry more than one dish before it is soaked.  (I use mine - I am not spending all that time to embroider them just to watch them sit in the drawer!)  They are a little wrinkly, but can be stretched in a hoop to embroider on.  My major complaint is that the flour sack towels are too big.  I know some people have cut them in half and sewed up one edge, but I don't have a sewing machine. 

So, I think the flour sack towels in the stitch it kit size would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists          Flickr
bratygrl1
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007 12:41:36 PM »

I agree with some of the other stitchers. I was not thrilled with the Stitch It Kit towels. I never used them because of their lack of absorbency and weight. I love real flour sack towels, but the Aunt Martha's variety are huge! I would like to see a nice medium sized flour sack cloth towel. I'm not too concerned with the wrinkle factor. My towels get used! Oh, and different colors would be groovy too! Wink

Thanks Jenny!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007 12:44:58 PM by bratygrl1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007 04:43:59 PM »

I like the size on flour sack towels because you can embroider the corners and when you wrap a pie or some bread, your stitching shows. They're great for wrapping food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
LeesaLove
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2007 08:46:37 AM »

I agree the tea toel in the tich it kit is good, but a bit light. I love one htat is a off white color.

Also I like a loop for hanging.
By the way I'd LOVE to be a tester!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007 07:28:44 AM »

Okay then! Let's have a  Tea Towel Tour!

Here are the rules (if we don't have these, the towel will never come back to us):

1. You get the towel.

2. You embroider something, anything, on the towel within 2 days of getting it (or, if you don't have time to embroider it, just give feedback on quality, size, etc.)

3. You mail the towel to the next person on the list (instructions will come with the towel) no later than day 3 after you received the towel.

What we want to ensure is that the towel will complete the tour and come back to us. So! If you want to be a part of the tour, send an email no later than Sunday, March 4th with your mailing address to:

mary (at) sublimestitching.com
subject line: Tea Towel Tour

We'll compile the addresses and include them as a list with the towel so each person will know where to send it to next. We may have to limit participants for time's sake, depending on how many people volunteer.

This should be fun! If for any reason you get the towel and simply don't have time to embroider something on it, that's fine. Just don't break the chain and keep the towel from moving on! Your feedback on it's quality will still be helpful.

The other aspect of this is, I see this as a project where many people contribute creatively to one textile and it ends up as a free-form collaboration. This will be a test run, and if it works, I'll organize another for that purpose (instead of just testing a textile for quality).

How does that sound? Each member of the tour will get a free pack of patterns and we'll send it out on Monday.

Oooh! I'm excited!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007 09:30:31 AM »

I sent my address!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007 10:28:04 AM »

Hope it's not too late to weigh in here.
I have had fabulous luck with Martha Stewart flour sack kitchen towels. (The plain ones.) They don't have the loop, but after a wash, they seem to work just right. The dimensions are 24 inches by 25 inches. There's four to a pack, and on sale I believe I got them for six bucks.
Her vintage line is awesome as well, as far as tea towel go, and they DO have the loop in the corner. (Though a quick note on loops, its easy breezey to sew a loop on the inside corner, and what's better, you can pick the trim!)
But her line of printed towels is great on its own, and some are just begging to be embellished even more!
I bought mine at K Mart, I'm not sure of Sears Essentials carries this line or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
GatsbyGirl
Not a Knitter

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007 11:42:09 AM »

Quick question: Is the towel you're sending out going to be pre-washed or should the first person who gets it wash it and make a note of shrinkage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Twitter | Facebook | Wists
SublimeStitcher
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2007 11:51:04 AM »

That's a good question. I guess it should get washed, huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Embroidery Rocks! Sublime Stitching RULES.
Kits - Patterns - How 2
http://www.SublimeStitching.com

Embroidered Artwork by Jenny Hart
http://www.jennyhart.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding
Thankful DIY

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...