A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,368
Currently Running With Scissors:
270 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: questions on how to approach shaping a stuffed toy  (Read 755 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

creepyhugger
« on: February 14, 2007 11:01:05 AM »

hi everyone!  happy v-day. 

i'm knitting a stuffed dog without a pattern (fist attempt at knitting sans pattern... eek!).  i'm knitting it in the round, so far i have the back half of the body (basically a closed tube), and i'm thinking about how to transition to the chest, neck, and head.  i was thinking about doing some short row shaping for the chest, so that there's like an angle, if that makes any sense.  i'm guessing i would need decreases on the opposite side (the dog's back) to compliment the angle so it's not like the dog has a boob.  does this sound like it would work?

here is a stuffed dog with shaping similar to what i want to achieve.  so, if the short row shaping would work, would i just reverse it for the angle of the head joining the neck?  i've not done short row shaping yet, so i'm not sure what it's capable of...  then i'm planning on doing the decreases for the snout and sewing the ears on later.

what do you y'all think?  i welcome any thoughts or advice.

thanks in advance,
jeanette
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007 03:36:15 PM by creepyhugger » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tawnisw
Productivity is the key to wisdom.

Experiment, Practice, Learn, Teach (& sell often)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 11:33:24 AM »

I used to own that dog!  We had a corgi that looked exactly like your puppy here...  but she was dognapped from the backyard one afternoon.  Anyways!  That is superb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams

www.tawnismoon.etsy.com

Stop by my website and tell me what you think by signing the guestbook!
creepyhugger
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 11:41:49 AM »

i think dognappers are the lowest form of life...   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djinnj
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007 12:10:26 PM »

short rows add length, not circumference.  I'd work increases instead, on one half of the stitches consistantly, instead of evenly around.  This would create more of a cone shape, with a bit of bias towards one side (chest side).

ETA:  Later, if you want to add short rows to "turn" the front of the chest a bit like a sock heel, you could do that, but I'd start with increasing first.  In terms of working the short rows, you'll need to decide how sharp the angle will be and adjust the interval accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007 12:12:27 PM by djinnj » THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007 01:00:05 PM »

hmm, i didn't realize how similar a sock heel is to the effect i'm trying to get...  maybe i'll just modify a sock heel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
detroy
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007 05:04:43 AM »

Please show us when you're finished! We have a corgi just like your stuffie, how cute! (and no, we're NOT dog-nappers!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loo
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 10:32:22 AM »

Yes, please share when you're finished. I've been thinking about a knit pug & that's just the body shape I need. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd hate to be the only funny bouncing one in the room."  -Ani Difranco

http://seelooknit.blogspot.com/
creepyhugger
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 04:13:49 PM »

oh, you know i will!  first knitting without a pattern definetly calls for a post!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad
@Home This Weekend: St. Patrick's Day Wreath
March 13, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...