A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,808
Currently Running With Scissors:
268 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: decent afforadable stitch dictionary?  (Read 1902 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007 01:45:45 PM »

Yes, the Mon Tricot dictionaries are highly sought after and I'm lucky to have spent less than $2 on both of mine.  I did see an Ebay auction for the 1500 stitch for $29, too.  Ebay sellers have weird ideas sometimes about what things are worth.  but $12.95 is a very good price!  And they really do rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007 02:30:36 PM »

I have a copy of The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitchery by Mildred Ryan, which I got at a thrift store for $3.99. It's not just knitting stitches, but also has crocheting, macrame, needlepoint, sewing, embroidery etc.  The knitting section has hundreds of stitch patterns in it.  I'd been keeping an eye out in the thrift stores for a stitch dictionary for a while when I spotted it, so I was pretty pleased to find it (why are knitting  books to hard to find in thrift stores? is it because everyone else is buying them up too? or do knitters never let go of their books?)

I don't know how it stacks up compared to other stitch dictionaries, and I still keep an eye out for others as I troll the thrift stores. But in the meantime, it's quite useful and very interesting to flip through. Although I don't like that the stitch patterns are written out in full English - I'd rather read the knitting abbreviations for some reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007 02:40:14 PM »

god! and i thought i was being ripped off for paying $18 for the mon trichot 1500!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007 05:12:37 AM »

You can also keep an eye on half.com.  I buy most of my books there at really reduced prices.  AND, if they don't have a title you need, you can wishlist it and they'll email you as soon as it's available.  I've saved a ton buying most of my knitting books there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blck_celebrtion
Misanthrope extraordinaire

Misanthrope extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007 05:29:24 AM »

^^ Agreed, I found this old Harmony guide and I LOVE IT.  I discovered this book in the University library called "The Arco Guide to blah blah blah", anyway, come to find out that they are one and the same with the Harmony guide.  The Arco book is going for 70-80 clams on ebay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs
Rainy Days

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...