A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
166 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hand Carders and A Newbie...  (Read 1340 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
glittergirl94
« on: February 14, 2007 06:51:44 AM »

I have a question, and if this is a no-no I'm really sorry and please delete this.  When I purchased my wheel a while back(used, see Lucky Me post in the Spinning forum) it came with a set of hand carders.  I have no use for them and really don't even know their worth.  I'm considering either selling them in my etsy shop, but have no idea how much to sell them for... or just trading with someone... any suggestions?  Will I be kicking myself entirely later if I do this?  Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 12:00:28 PM »

Have you tried them out?  I initially thought I'd never need carders, but after spinning for a while and having bits left over and bumps of wool that got a little matted or tangle, they proved to work great for turning all those scraps into interesting yarns.  They also work great for creating color gradients...or getting fiber ready if you ever decide to spin something that doesn't come in roving form.

Anyway, I'd look at the main spinning websites to find out how much they sell them for if you're still interested in selling/finding out how much they're worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

easterbun
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 01:36:15 PM »

I'd keep them  Grin  You may find that in a couple months or even a year or two you'll be inspired to do stuff like blending with them, and then regret selling them since you won't have them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007 07:41:52 PM »

Ditto. Once the obsession really kicks in.... yeah, you'll be wanting to blend your stash so bad.

And if you get into dyeing too, you'll enjoy having cards to re-fluff. Or to blend, say, some green cotton and green wool. Or any color combination you might be tempted to try, especially when it's fibers that don't take the same types of dye.

Of course, with all that said.... I would really like a set of hand cards!!  Grin  If you are determined you don't want them, please PM me and we can talk about it.

Lystessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
raynbow
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007 09:07:31 AM »

This is a little bit off topic, but i was curious about the idea of using hand carders to 're-fluff'.

I've used hand cards to make some rolags out of my dyed roving that had compacted.  But is there a way to just "re-fluff" it and keep it as roving using hand cards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007 09:22:32 AM »

This is a little bit off topic, but i was curious about the idea of using hand carders to 're-fluff'.

I've used hand cards to make some rolags out of my dyed roving that had compacted.  But is there a way to just "re-fluff" it and keep it as roving using hand cards?

Last night, as I was fighting to draft some recently dyed (and now compressed) roving I was wondering the same thing.  I could do the end of the roving but beyond that I ended up with matting.  Suggestions/techniques?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Lystessa

Naughty Fairy...with Kitty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 01:19:03 PM »

I've never actually done it, I just figured it could be done.... I doubt it would be the same style of roving that you started with though.

Pre-drafting might also help.  Sorry to be such a tease!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Requisite Blog:   http://lystessa.blogspot.com
ookla
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007 02:05:39 PM »

Just FYI, most brands go for about $50-60.  But I'd urge you to keep those carders.  After making the investment, I wasn't sure I'd use mine either, but they've been indispensible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007 05:59:30 PM »

me want hand cards. hmmmmmm....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...