A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
202 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drop Spindles & Such  (Read 1337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
jenny.bloodless
« on: February 14, 2007 04:15:56 PM »

I don't think I would be considered a newbie, I'm more of a prebie. I've never even held a piece of roving in my hands. Unfortunately where I live the only access we have to yarn of any sort is Wal-Mart or the internet. I don't knit or crochet, but I feel compelled to spin. Hopefully that explains why I have been researching like a crazy lady for the last week. But I still have questions. I'm the type of person who moves from craft to craft like there's no tomorrow so I think a drop spindle would be my best choice for now. How many of you learned on a drop spindle and what kind? There's so many different ones, but I haven't seen much of an explanation as to why. I've seen beginner spindles but I also read somewhere here that it's not going to work as well as a more expensive spindle will. I am so very confused. I thought I could figure this out on my own, but I can't and I need my fellow craftster's advice. What are your recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere— anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
Tinglefling

Well behaved women rarely make history

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007 06:50:53 PM »

I started spinning with a top whorl, medium weight, hand (drop) spindle.

I found this best since it was not so heavy it pulled the fiber out of my hands but had enough weight to help when drafting.

I liked the top whorl because it was easier to see what was going on and it was easier to wind on my finished yarn.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenny.bloodless
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007 07:53:13 PM »

That helps a ton! Thank you very much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Someday, somewhere— anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life. - Pablo Neruda
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007 07:48:10 AM »

Your spindle certainly doesn't have to be expensive!
You might want to do a search on how to make your own spindle from a dowel and a CD; I hear those work well.

I bought my drop spindle on a whim as a souvenier from Colonial Williamsburg.  Little did I know how crazy addicted I'd become.  Now I'm swimming in fiber in my tiny apartment, and whenever we get a knock on the door from a postal worker, his hands full of another 8 oz of merino or something, my wonderful husband gives me a look, and I try to act all casual.   Roll Eyes

I'm happy with my bottom-whirl, medium weight spindle.  I spin a little differently from most people, mostly because I taught myself from the questionable instructions that came with the kit.  Whichever spindle you pick, spinning on it will soon become second nature!  And remember, if you're not totally happy with your choice, you can always add another spindle to your collection (which might come in handy for plying, anyway!).  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
jenny.bloodless
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007 08:07:39 PM »

Haha, I'm sure your husband loves it, even though he gives you those looks. Thanks for the advice. I think I will make one, that way I can decide if I like the top or bottom whorl better. So how big of a skein can you spin on a drop spindle? Is it necessary to have bobbins or just if you plan to ply?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammimag
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007 07:31:53 AM »

I don't think you need bobbins right away, I like having lots of spindles they act a kind of bobbin. 

When you get to plying you can give the Andean ply a try so you just need your drop spindle to help with that.  I'm pretty sure you can use toilet paper tubes as bobbins if you want to ply two singles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenny.bloodless
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007 08:41:45 AM »

Wow, there is so much to know before I do anything. I think I'm going to continue to read up on anything and everything I can find so I can at least feel half-way knowledgeable. Thanks for the advice everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...