A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
207 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Autumn & Spring Leaf Hats - - - yay or nay?  (Read 4184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2007 08:17:50 AM »

I was looking through a stitch pattern book and found a leaf design that I thought was pretty cool, so I decided to incorporate it into a hat. 

First, I made one in fall colors and put a single leaf on the side. But the striping distracted from the leaf.  (My husband said "I like the colors, but what's with that thing on the side?")

So I started again, this time in spring-time green. 

But I'm not too sure if I like the end results of either hat.  What do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
lilacbutterfly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007 08:23:16 AM »

Your DH was right about the fall hat.  The spring hat is better, but I'm wondering if you should add some leaves, in between the ones you have now, but lower.

Good luck, and keep having fun coming up with designs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007 08:24:52 AM »

I like the second one. I agree that the striping detracts, but another problem with the first one is that the stockinette body with this block of reverse stockinette to show the leaf looks weird to me.

I like the green hat! If you aren't happy with it, but want to do something similar, two modifications that might look nice are decreases instead of doughnut-bunching to close the top (but that might be a personal preference for me), and doing it in a much finer gague yarn and having more repeats of the little leaves sticking out from the ribbing. I don't mean to increase the number of stitches in the motif, either, but more of them, looking smaller and more delicate, and not reaching so far up the head, might cure what is bugging you about the second hat.

Another option would be to add some kind of contrast color flower at the top where a puffball would go, crochet or maybe felted?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ailsika
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007 08:37:51 AM »

I'd be happy to wear the green one just as it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007 09:06:59 AM »

I like the idea of the fall hat, but the striping yarn is too distracting.  Maybe a solid color with contrasting leaves grafted on after?  Woo, that would be AMAZING  Wink.  I love fall leaves.  I also like the idea of the green leaf hat with flowers too.  I can't wait to see what you decide!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eatyerhartout
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007 09:59:42 AM »

I love the striping in the first hat, too, but yeah, it does detract. I really like the second hat as is.  Smiley I love the reverse stockinette. I think that if you were to add more leaves, it would end up looking like a crown of some sort. But the idea of smaller leaves closer to the ribbing isn't a bad one. I would personally leave the green one the way you have it, unless the bunching at the top was annoying to you. You did a great job on these!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007 10:14:40 AM »

Thanks for your comments & suggestions!

I like the idea of the fall hat, but the striping yarn is too distracting.  Maybe a solid color with contrasting leaves grafted on after?  Woo, that would be AMAZING  Wink.  I love fall leaves.  I also like the idea of the green leaf hat with flowers too.  I can't wait to see what you decide!

I originally wanted to do the striped hat as-is but intarsia in one patch of green with a leaf on it, but intarsia-in-the-round was making my brain hurt so I tried this instead.  

I like the green hat! If you aren't happy with it, but want to do something similar, two modifications that might look nice are decreases instead of doughnut-bunching to close the top (but that might be a personal preference for me), and doing it in a much finer gague yarn and having more repeats of the little leaves sticking out from the ribbing.

The green hat actually has normal decreases on the top (p6, p2tog, p 1 round plain, etc.), it just looks poofy because the Styrofoam head is a bit small.

I love the striping in the first hat, too, but yeah, it does detract. I really like the second hat as is.  Smiley I love the reverse stockinette. I think that if you were to add more leaves, it would end up looking like a crown of some sort. But the idea of smaller leaves closer to the ribbing isn't a bad one. I would personally leave the green one the way you have it, unless the bunching at the top was annoying to you. You did a great job on these!!

Hey, I like that crown of leaves idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
yarndini
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007 10:53:44 AM »

I think the striped one would be beautiful without the leaf design. The green one is beautiful as well but I would like maybe just the one leaf on the side like you did in the striped one. Whatever you decide, it is a nice design idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~nougatocity: a heightened yet fleeting state of accomplishment that makes you realize how unbelievably unmotivated you normally are~~~
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007 12:04:22 PM »

intarsia.  in.  the.  round.   ouch.   my head hurts just thinking about it  Tongue.  Would be lovely tho against a stripey background.  Could graft it on later maybe? hmm. 

If you're looking for a crown 'o' leaves, here's a baby hat pattern that's cute
http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/leaf-edge-baby-hat.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007 12:51:40 PM »

i like those, a lot. My mom is anti-yarn everything... but she'd wear those. (she was standing behind me and told me that). haha, feel special!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...