A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,237
Currently Running With Scissors:
185 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arrrr! It be the pirate-iest bathroom EVARRRRR! (Photos, ahoy!)  (Read 7705 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

MsChilePepper
« on: February 10, 2007 03:05:21 PM »

I've been working on a silly project the past couple of months, and since my fella Chris has been gone, I've been able to implement it as a surprise for him.  I'm certain his reaction will be something along the lines of "You're so weird."  He is not wrong.  Cheesy

Behold, the piratification of my boyfriend's bathroom!  It's cheese-tastic in many ways, and I may add a few more touches, since he won't be back until sometime next week.  However, I'm really pleased with what I've done so far.  It's been fun!

Most of the stuff came from Archie McPhee, my favoritest store in the world.  Nothing was really expensive; I think I've spent about $100 total, something like that. 

I'll just link to photos of stuff I didn't make.  The recon part of this project is at the end.

The door to the bathroom.  The Pirates Code poster came from an online retailer which shall remain nameless, because they suck hard and I don't want anybody to give them any business after they jacked me around so badly.  I made the small sign on the wall on my computer, with a treasure map background, and "The Head" in piratey script printed over it.  Stuck it in a cheap wood frame.  The hook is a finger; it just screws into the wall.  I added red nail polish to make it look bloody.

Door.

Here's looking into the bathroom from the doorway.  The washcloth hanging from another finger hook is from McPhee, as are the shower curtain, trash can and pirate skull "nodder" on the back of the toilet.

The two posters are printed on paper that looks like old parchment, and those are just cheapie poster frames with black posterboard for matting.  I think they look really good.  Here's the treasure map and this is the pirate weapons poster.  Both very informative, and nicely done.  I highly recommend this company!  They have a lot of cool flags and other stuff, and their customer service and pricing were top-notch.  I bought two copies of each, as well as two copies of their version of the Pirates Creed of Ethics.  Did you know pirates were sort of unionized?  It's true!

From the doorway.

I used the extra copies of the posters to decoupage the covers for the lightswitches and outlet.  I think they turned out really cool!  I especially dig the outlet cover.  The lightswitch cover was a bitch to piece out, because I didn't really have sizable images to work with, but it turned out fine.  I used lots of the weapons, 'cause Chris is a bit of a gun nut. 

I burned some of the edges to nice effect.  I used Mod Podge decoupage glue, and then sprayed the hell out of them with about four coats of acrylic, to seal the Mod Podge so it doesn't get tacky in the damp bathroom.  Sorry for the too-much-flashness in the photos.  I should've scanned them.  Oh, well.

Here are a silly plastic pirate ship and cheapo action figure.
  I dig that this guy has a mace along with his sword.

Bathmat from McPhee, too.

These doors hide the washer and dryer and water heater.  On the left is a nylon flag, and on the right, a What Would A Pirate Do? spinner.  I mounted it sorta low, so the boy could occupy himself while sitting on the throne.  Cheesy

This is clearly not a large bathroom, and it was tough to take photos.  Looking back toward the door.  I hung the Blackbeard and Anne Bonney action figures from McPhee on the wall in their packages, rather than taking them out.  The packages have interesting blurbs on them.  Bonus action shot of my right elbow.

Next photo:  Shot glasses from McPhee.  Why he'd do shots in the bathroom, I don't know, but I guess he can use 'em for mouthwash.  Also you see here the most complicated and involved part of this caper, and I daresay the most GENIUS!  Feast your eyes on the skull toothbrush holder!

I got the skull from McPhee a couple years ago, as a freebie when I gave blood during their annual blood drive.  It's plastic, and looks pretty realistic, too, with "antiqued" coloration and such.  I was going to just stick it on the counter as decoration, but then I got the bright idea to carve out a hole in the top of the skull and put a plastic tumbler in there to make it a toothbrush holder.

This was not an easy task.  I hadn't realized it had this weird foam inside, which I had to gouge out and which made a big ol' mess.  I was delighted to get to use my brand-new Dremel tool set that I got for Christmas.  YAY power tools!  YAY trepanation!  *grin*

After digging out enough of a hole for the cup, I inserted it and then ran a bead of silicone caulking around the outside, to seal out water.  Then I took some cotton clothesline cord I had laying around, dyed it with tea, and when it was dry, I hot-glued it around and around the cup to hide the silicone sealant and disguise some of the shinyshiny acrylicness of the cup.  I made the coil with the tail end, and then glued on a fake jewel thingie I've had for umpteen years.

But I wasn't done.  Noooooo!  While having way too much fun with the Dremel, I got the bright idea to ream out the eye and nose sockets, and then to cut out the area between the upper and lower teeth.  I also made some of the teeth broken and jagged looking.

I took myself to Radio Shack and bought a battery-powered blinking red LED module.  OK, I got two, because I'm sure I'll find a use for the other one at some point.  Wink  Then I cut a hole in the bottom of the skull, and removed enough of the foam so that light would shine through all the facial openings. 

I inserted the module in the hole, then used a piece of an old leather watchband, a couple of screws, and some stickum putty to hold it up inside the skull.  It's jerry-rigged and it ain't pretty, but it works, and nobody will see it.

Really, it's the piece de resistance!

Click to see the blinkiness! (teeny Quicktime clip)

So that's it so far!  I do think I need to find a wee treasure chest and fill it with fake coins and Mardi Gras beads.  Might go to the craft store tomorrow.  Also, I saw a few days ago in the "saucydwellings" LiveJournal comm that another person had done a pirate themed bathroom.  Hers is far cutesier than I wanted, but she has some good ideas.  I like the fishing net tied around the tub curtains.  She cleverly used wooden cutout letters to spell ARRRR on the wall.  I believe I shall do this as well.  Only I think mine will be distressed black, rather than gold.  This bathroom is waaaayyy too beige.  And if I can find a parrot, I'm so sticking that in there, too.

I hope you have enjoyed my piratification project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
winter83
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007 03:14:16 PM »

wow all that stuff is awesome! you did a really good job at keeping it boyish!  I hope your boy likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalfBrit
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007 03:43:42 PM »

This is SO fun, I love it!  I think you need to add a plant, fake will work for me!  Something palmish, don't you think? 

I love pirate stuff, too, your bathroom is wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pisicandru

Don't be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007 03:46:15 PM »

This is truly great. If he doesn't like it then ..... gimme all of'em  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007 04:06:19 PM »

how piratey!!!  I just love it.  my husband is going to want to do our bathroom like this as soon as I show him the blinky skull.  he'll want to make one and probably will.  love it all.
supermedic Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007 04:08:48 PM »

I love it all, but the finger-that's-a-hook is my absolute favorite!!! I wanna be your friend  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librisleo
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007 09:06:17 AM »

Ahoy, matey!  This be the pinnacle of pirate-ness, it be!!  Hoist the jolly roger an' have a bottle 'a rum on me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Adam Savage
craftykate
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007 12:45:51 PM »

It looks awesome! I loved seeing the video of the skull in action. Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
gilgamesh
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007 06:41:34 PM »

so! incredibly! cool! I am incredibly jealous. The blinking skull is awesome!!! Let us know the lucky guy's reaction when he sees it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa: "You've fallen through the cracks of our quick-fix, one-hour photo, instant oatmeal society!"
dancingzira
Mistress of Craft

Do Llamas enjoy bondage?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007 09:14:24 PM »

arrrr! fantastic! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have wists too, you know. http://www.wists.com/dancingzira
I am interested in personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
February 13, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Reusable Shopping Bag

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...