A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
174 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need ideas for random Wooden Boxes  (Read 1271 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2007 08:04:19 PM »

Today at work i was doing some things and i came upon about 800 of these wooden boxes. I asked about them and was told that they were junk, they were made to hold some parts that are ordered from a different company that we use for our machines, but then were stored there and used for odds and ends.

However, there are so many of them  , and the company doesn't have a way to use them, so they are free to take for employees, and of course, i couldn't resist, i took four home today.

I stripped the inside foam, which was hideous, removed the metal tag on the top (you can still see the nails), and took out the two inside wooden fittings and what you see below remains.

the dimensions are
H 6.5 cm
W 20cm
D 11.5 cm

What can i do with these?
It appears to be balsa wood, some of it is coated/lacquered, some of it isn't. keep in mind the construction is chinese, so the quality isn't that great. (so there goes my jewelery box idea)

EDIT: i forgot to ask, i also have this ikea box, i figured i would paint ior stain it, but honest to goodness, i can't figure out what to use it for? Its too short to use for pens/pencis, inconvenient for jewellery, the wrong size to hold my computer accessories (digi cam, cords, cell phones etc).

IDEAS?

H 29.5cm
W 28.5
D20

drawers
H8 W13 D 20

(Edit again! forgot to post the pic!)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 07:52:23 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mishymishy
but you can call me Liz.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007 10:08:12 PM »

I think it would be great to decorate for children's art supplies. Decorate with kids designs (cars, animals) and put the kid's name on it for a personal touch. Even if its short for pens, they could put crayons, erasers, scissors, etc in it. Other things that come to mind are small seed/flower packets if you know someone who gardens or possibly makeup for a gift for a teenager (they can sort their shadows, lipsticks, etc). I would even be tempted to take the boxes out of that shelflike one and using it as a display shelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not a woman, I'm a force of nature.

Trying to crochet a star blanket but can't start it? Check out my tutorial for help!
calloocallay
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007 08:56:44 AM »

I have the same ikea wooden box.drawer thingy. I use mine to store handsewing stuff - thread, needles, pincushion, beeswax, buttons, elastics etc. It's a lot more convenient than the fishing tackle box I had been using. I haven't stained or painted mine yet, either! I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every room is for dancing.
MizPants
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007 10:57:11 AM »

I have about four of those Ikea type of boxes. They're good for a gazillion things:

Bathroom:
Storage of all the stuff floating around your medicine cabinet. Just toss into a drawer. Nail clippers, cosmetics, bandaids, meds, you name it. One of my friend uses hers for cotton balls, cotton swaps, makeup sponges, and so on. She just puts hers on the back of the toilet. I put mine underneath the sink. You could even attach it to the wall--just get some hardware.

Kitchen:
Storage of herbs, spices, clips, batteries, twist ties, scotch tape, twine, magnets, etc. and so on. Anything small that clutters up a drawer can be tossed into these wooden drawers.

Office:
Post-its, erasures, lead for mechanical pencils, matches, lighters, paperclips, rubber bands, scotch tape, string. Of course, for all the smaller bits--paperclips/rubber bands--you can keep them in their original cardboard box/plastic bag. I have all these kinds of office supplies in storage--on my desk, I have smaller soysauce saucerss for a few things to have handy.

Craft:
Pins, needles, gluesticks, bags of beads, bags of sequins, glitter tubes, tape, ribbonspools, stamps, inks, string, small envelopes, alot of embellishments for paper crafting, Femoclay, small bottles of paint, you name it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Llanfair
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007 03:04:44 AM »

I find these boxes hard to come by in the UK. I clean them up and cover them with pictures, stuck on with wallpaper paste.  When thoroughly dry, I either age them with sandpaper and tea bag varnish, or just give them a few coats of clear varnish.  They sell well on my stall.  I do some gothic ones for the teenagers, flower fairies for the little girls, (and their mums!) and pre -raphaelite ones for the rest of us.
Now, how can you ship a shedload of these boxes to Wales?!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Fruit Pizza
@Home This Weekend: Dish Soap Apron
Tute Tuesday: Daisy Purse

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...