A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
154 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garter Lace Tote Bag  (Read 2545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
vickilicious
« on: February 01, 2007 01:57:31 AM »

I really enjoyed this challenge, and I hope it's okay to post this (it's still the 31st in Hawaii, right?).

As a grad student, I have to lug lots of things to and from campus. I designed this bag to be large enough to accommodate my notebook and several heavy texts while fitting comfortably over my shoulder so I can take it on the subway and around New York.

I lined it with white fabric to help the lace pattern stand out, then lined the inside with another sturdy cotton and reinforced the bottom with cardboard so it would hold its shape. 

This bag was a lot of firsts for me - the first bag I've ever made, the first thing I've ever lined, and actually, the first non-scarf finished object I've ever produced.

It works really well for holding knitting projects too - even my 14 inch straight needles!

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007 04:28:15 AM »

Wow, you did such a great job!  I can't believe its your first non scarf!

Your purse lining looks great too.

What yarn did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007 07:01:18 AM »

Fantastic bag! I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katiebread
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007 08:16:43 AM »

I am a crocheter, but I am interested in making lined bags out of yarn.  I have never lined anything before, and every time I touch a sewing machine it gets angry at me Sad  Can you elaborate a bit on how you went about lining your beautiful creation?  I would love to make something somewhat similar with crochet Smiley  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vickilicious
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007 01:51:02 PM »

Thank you for your lovely comments!

The yarn is Caron Perfect Match in Cape Cod blue - I reasoned that I'd want something machine-washable if I would be toting this all around the city.

As for lining it, I actually tried doing it with my sewing machine first, and my machine was really unhappy about that.

The bag looked like this before assembly:

I ended up cutting pieces of the white fabric, which I marked with blue chalk in the shapes I wanted the bag pieces to end up since the knit fabric was rather elastic and prone to getting out of shape. I sewed the first lining to all the knit pieces before I sewed the bag itself together. I was careful about placing the sewing thread so it would sink under the knit stitches, but as it turned out the way I sewed the outer seams of the bag covered all the sewing thread anyway.

For the inner lining (the blue floral fabric), I folded the two fabric edges over toward each other to look like a finished seam then sewed tiny top stitching at the very edges where it would be hidden by the knitting. (I think I may have photos of this part still on my camera - if so, I'll post them.)

I'm not sure if this is actually the way to line things. I basically looked at a blouse and checked out the way the lining was sewn into a cuff then mimicked it. It made a neat result, so I was pretty happy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007 12:05:44 AM by vickilicious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeydew
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007 08:19:47 PM »

This is another really neat use of the stitch, and I just love navy blue.  It looks so nice and crisp in your tote bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandMaiden NY

Making Brooklyn more handicraft accessible

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007 09:23:01 AM »

That is really great bag, especially for it involving so many firsts!  What a huge step up from scarves - I am still on scarves myself, so you give me hope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...