A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 315,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
164 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: intarsia/fair isle bunching...  (Read 995 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

creepyhugger
« on: January 30, 2007 03:41:21 PM »

hey y'all.  so, i'm working on a sweater with the misfits skull on the sleeve.  i finished up to the top of the mouth (working from the bottom up, of course) and i'm not liking the way it's looking.  it turned into some bizarre intarsia/fair isle bastardization and it's kind of bunchy in parts with some uneven stitching....  my hubby thinks it looks fine, but i'm anal. 

anyway, my question is do you think i should rip it and then do the big blocks of color with intarsia and come in later and do duplicate stitch for the details?  or should i rip it and try my intarsia-with-some-carries with more careful tension control...   here's a pic of the skull, just for a reference (and so you can see what a nightmare the mouth is!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007 05:08:29 PM »

Um, can you try ironing it?  I've only done intarsia a couple times, and it looked horrible until I ironed it.  It may save you from frogging the whole thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 06:51:13 PM »

I am just learning how to do colourwork, but i had the same problem that you have with my first project. i did some research and my problem was that the yarn in the back that carries over was too long (it shouldn't be passed over more than 5 sts). if you want to make it longer you have to weave the yarn into the back as you go.

hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.com

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
creepyhugger
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007 10:20:21 AM »

i just frogged it and it was surprisingly satisfying.  probably since i'm too anal and i was obsessing over it for two days...  thanks for your insights.  i think i'm just going to intarsia with duplicate stitching for the details. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007 10:32:53 AM »

I often do a mix of stranded and intarsia color work.
As was mentioned above, it could be you are having the bunching because of carrying the stranded areas over too many stitches.
Also, many times instructions will incorrectly tell you to twist the yarns around one another.
You really only need to pass the new working yarn under the old.
Not twist...twisting usually will cause puckering.
On that note, any form of too tight tension can make the fabric pucker.
As for duplicate stitching the details..absolutely!
In fact, in my humble opinion, it would be just a waste of time to try to knit in certain kinds of details....again..only my opinion and please no one think I am deliberately trying to insult.

I'm sorry this post is physically so long..taking up all that vertical space.
My "enter" key is sticking, and making the post in progress scroll way down.
I have no clue as to what to do to fix already posted entries.
I better look for a sub keyboard around here.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007 02:29:09 PM by diosaperdida » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
creepyhugger
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007 11:29:29 AM »

i think i was just trying to get too detailed with my intarsia.  i ended up with like six different bobbins going!  i just need to get over my hatred for duplicate stitching.  i wasn't trying to carry more than five stitches, i think it was just too busy back there... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007 02:24:20 PM »

I kind of hate duplicate stitch too.
It never looks...duplicated, but more like odd threads on top of my work..I sometimes try to con my husband into doing mine, as his is GOOD!
I think with knitting, you HAVE to do what feels good and right for YOU.
Take advice for what it is, and then carry on with what you can use of it, and what you already know fits into your knitting.
For me, 6 bobbins wouldn't be at all to busy...but too much detail in lace makes my head hurt.
Eh..sorry..I tend to get overly chatty on occasion...
Good Luck to you darlin' * tips hat*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
creepyhugger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007 10:01:44 AM »

i redid it and left some to duplicate stitching.  the tension came out *much* more even.  i will, of course, post pics when it's done!  thanks for the moral support!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pantgirl
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007 11:25:06 AM »

Yeah I was going to post that you maybe got the tenstion too tight. My first fair-isle esque project hadbits that were far too tight and werw all puckered!  Oops!
Nice Misfits skull though Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...