A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dreadlock wax  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

take it easy, your wired to detonate.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2005 05:11:44 PM »

i was wondering if it was possible to even make dread wax. in the event it is possible, i was wondering if anyone had any "recipes" to do so. ive looked at stores for such a thing, but the only way to get any quality wax seems to be over the internet. input is greatly appreciated
-thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

im going to live forever or die trying.
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005 03:45:38 PM »

helppppp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

francie pants
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005 12:08:08 PM »

kay babe, i made my own wax.  i never felt dreadheadhq or knottyboys waxes so i don't know how it compares.  but i got beeswax from the shop, and melted it down with just a little olive oil that i'd infused with rosemary.  it was like a sticky salve.  but i gotta say, unless you just want em for a weekend, you'll be happier in the long run skipping the wax.  just use super clarifying soaps and no conditioner.  like dr. bronners castille soaps or something.  dry that hair out as much as you can.  let it get damaged and itchy.  i back combed and rolled and twisted mine in cuz my uber straight hair didn't have so much as a rats nest after letting it go natural for 6 monthes.  good luck!!!  if you need advice on different methods to dread, lemme know... there's some good dread boards online.  good luck! its 9-12 monthes of ugly hair.... the pay off it worth it i think.-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmykat
get out of my trash.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005 11:01:38 AM »

thanksss my hair is actually already dreaded and has been for about a month. i know thats not very long but! i only wax them about twice a month  when i do. thanks for the advicee!
-kim
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommamoonbeam
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008 10:18:00 AM »

i'd skip the olive oil...use beeswax with a small amount of hempseed oil and a few drops of rosemary essential oil. most decent dreadwaxes use hempseed oil for the oil as it is less harmful to the dreads (ie it's a lighter oil that is closer to our natural body oil). i went the no wax rout last time and it's a long hard path so i'm trying again soon, using wax and wrapping the dreads in threads for the first few months...u have a neighbor who braids and dreads and she said she'd help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Souldier

make mini ramps... not war

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 08:32:12 AM »

The Knotty Boy wax contains:
Beeswax, Certified Organic Hempseed Oil, Avocado Oil, Kukui Nut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Shea Nut Butter, Vitamin E Oil, Walnut Extract (Dark Wax only)

The Dread Head HQ wax sounds like it contains most of the same ingredients, but no list available on their site.

I have no idea in what quantities. I've never done this, but I'm guessing you'd have to melt the beeswax and shea nut butter and then add the rest. The less wax the more creamy the mixture will be and the more wax the harder and more brittle the substance will be when it hardens which is not what you want.

Also these products don't use bleached beeswax but rather natural filtered beeswax.

I guess you'd have to experiment till you get exactly what you want.

Good luck!   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://souldier.etsy.com
Handbags, trinkets, and oddities that truly allow you to march to your own beat.

http://petsouldiers.etsy.com
A place where pets and their owners can march to their own beat!

http://marching-souldier.blogspot.com/
A place where I vent. Ha!
shenene
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008 11:31:22 AM »

The wax you can buy from DreadHeadHQ.com contains:

Beeswax, microcrystaline wax, mineral oil, hemp seed oil, vitamin E, fragrance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It
Tute Tuesday: Paper Tree
Meal Prep Monday: Lazy Bread Pudding

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...