A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,252
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbook Party - Suggestions?  (Read 2253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2004 02:38:32 AM »

Background: I am the only crafty person among my friends and they are constantly saying how much they love the stuff I make.  The last thing I made was a little scrapbook of photos of all our age-29-and-holding-ladies-only-outings for one of them who has now moved away.  (Don't be too sad.  It's a great excuss for all of us to visit.  Her poor husband may be in for a shock.)  All the other ladies said they wanted a scrapbook too.  So after thinking of the amount of work making 6 more scrapbooks, I've decided that it is time they learn something about crafting. 

Party Thoughts:  Since I am the camera queen, I thought I'd get the prints for each person and pick up most of the supplies.  They are normally fine about pitching in the cash to cover stuff like this, so I'm fine there.  I was going to pick up some small size 4x6 albums and have a lot of paper already.  If I get the photos, I can make sure the photo prints are small enough to fit in the books.  (Normally, I crop and combine several photos into each 4x6 print before getting them ordered and printed up.  Therefore the photos end up being smaller than 4x6 and you can scrpabook with them.)

Questions: Anyone ever thrown a scrapbook party or been to one?  Advice, ideas, thoughts?  Should I run it like a class?  If so, advice please as I never took one.  I learned from HGTV shows.  Should I just go through an example page as a group and then let them go at it, answering questions as we go?  Am I in over my head here?    Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naomicatgirl
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004 05:51:44 AM »

You are definitely NOT in over your head!!

I've run parties before for people who never scrapbooked.  My favourite was a wedding shower/recipe shower, where everyone was asked to bring their favourite recipe, and then they all created a 2 page layout - one side with the recipe on it, the other side with a photo of themself and the bride to be (i took the photos) along with some "advice" for the bride.

It was wonderful.

For non scrapbookers, the main thing is not to show them too much.  It can get overwhelming.  Show them a few samples, show them the materials, and urge them to get creative.  Answer questions if they have, but encourage them to use their imagination.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a note anytime!

Naomi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Online stamps & embellishments galore!
Visit The Embellishment STore
http://www.theembellishmentstore.com
Ontario Stamping & Paper Crafts Exposition
Coming to Toronto, May 13-15, 2005
http://www.ontariostampexpo.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004 08:12:55 AM »

Like many other direct marketing companies, one of the ways Creative Memories sells their products is through classes and parties.  (We are supposed to call them "shows")  It's fun!  And so I speak from experience when I say it is not difficult at all for one person to show a roomfull of others how to do things.  Of course, I'm supposed to be a skilled and trained scrapbooker, but you know.....

Really, when you get right down to it, scrapbooking is all about stuff you learned how to do in 1st grade.  Cut it out and stick it down.  The tools may be more sophisticated, the papers more attractive, and the style more mature, but if you just think of it like that, it becomes much less stressful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004 04:52:42 PM »

Here's what I have come up with on the party.  I would supply a stack of various acid free paper, the blank scrapbooks, glues, scissors, photos and all.  I live 2 miles from a scrapbook store so I thought we'd hop in the car and go over there to pick out a couple sheets of paper to work as a theme for each person's scrapbook.  I don't want to send them on their own because they may all just go running screaming from the store. (I did the theme paper thing for a cruise scrapbook.  I picked out a pretty flower paper and one of water and used them throught the book to tie all of it together. It worked well.  Plus, that's how I did the scrapbook they all liked so well.)  All the photos are from group outings in the past couple of years so the theme is the same throughout.  I thought this way they could each get personalized scrapbooks.   Anyway, back at my place I'd do a short class version of scrapbooking explaining kindergarden cut and paste.  Then it's snacks and let them go wild until we're bored and want to go out for drinks. Thoughts? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004 08:06:01 AM »

That sounds like a great idea. The only problem I would see is how long are you planning on speniding on this? I know when I get into a scrapbook store I tend to loose track of all time! Even when I drag non-scrappers in with me they end up getting into all the stuff. You may want to reconsider this aspect if you don't want ot spend 10hrs on this project(ha ha, an exaggeration, well maybe not for me!). Or if you do, set a time limit before you leave the house. Another thing you could do is pre pick cool papers & emebblishments that you think they might like or go with their personality. Then you could make each person a little kit. A this is what you have to work with kind of thing. That way they won't get overwhlmed with the whole process of picking out stuff & figuring out how to make it work. You say "these are your materials, these are the scrapbook basics, now get to scrappin'". This may take a litte more time on your part, but it may be easier for begginers to draw in the lines to start with. Plus then if everyone gets really into it & wants something else, the option of the store being so close could come in handy. Start em off & if they want to expand, suggest going to the store. Just a suggestion. Good luck, it sounds like fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
fresheggs
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004 08:53:21 AM »

A wee scrapbooking party was how one of my girlfriends got me and another friend hooked.  I've always had a scrapbook but tried to stear clear of all the goodies because I knew I'd spiral out of control once I started.

What we did that nite was one 12x12 page, our "friend" supplied the goods and had colour photocopies made of out pics of my other friend's birthday party and then the next day she drove us to Micheal's where madness ensued.  I was reluctant but there was a 40% coupon and the Slab II had just been released... my other friend loudly exclaimed SCRAPFOLIO! when she saw it sitting high on the shelf and jumped up to reach it, she calmed down a little once she got it down and realized just what it was.  Oh the page it would have made had one of us had a camera! 

I think we each ended up leaving the store with bags that didn't seem to have very much in them but somehow the contents of which totalled over $100 each. 

I think the way we did it with starting out with one page was good, that way we were able to go out later and get albums and embellishments that suited our personal styles and all 3 of us have pretty different books.

I went to one of those "scrapper-ware" parties once that another friend had.  I came away from it a little bit annoyed and didn't want to scrapbook for awhile afterwards. Our instructor had the nerve to say nasty things about "arty" scrapbooks, actually told me not to use a certain picture because it was similar to another on the page and moved things around on our pages to her liking.

I think it works alot better to just let people go at it in their own way and be as encouraging as possible. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004 05:01:35 PM »

I agree, Fresheggs.  I actually got into the "scrapperware" stuff without ever having attended a party.  The price was right for all the equipment and the tools are absolutely topnotch.  Even better than Fiskars, in my opinion.  I really can't stand my unit leader.  She's a little more than pushy.  I really just like hanging out with people with similar interests.  I may or may not make any money at it, really, but I LOVE going to parties and being the center of attention without having to do any cooking or cleaning up afterwards!!   Grin

Scrapbooking is a personal thing.  I've commited the cardinal sin of my company; I've told my clients they should not feel limited to the decorations, etc. available in the product line.  That their scrapbooks should be as individual as they are, and that I did not want to limit that creativity.  How counterproductive would that be?  Pushy salespeople aren't as much fun to hang out with as friendly creative types anyway.  I'd rather hang out at a party and not sell a single thing but have fun than sell $1000 and have everyone leave ticked off with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005 03:04:18 PM »

It was a big success! Here's what I ended up doing: First I put together kits of already cropped photos, a scrapbook, black pen, glue and paper.  I bought "The Slab" of 12x12 paper so all the paper went together and cut the pages to fit in the album.  The scrapbooks were from a clearance type store and needed some help to be more our style.  Here's the thread for that:
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=16927.msg142640#msg142640
I made up several example pages for everyone to look at using the paper and photos they all had and used very simple techniques so not to scare anyone.  Then I put out my assortment of scissors, paper cutters and hole punch and let them go wild.  I answered questions and did my own pages for my own one. (I ended up with the pink one with poka dots after I let everyone choose theirs.)  By the end, everyone was cutting and pasting like mad women.  Great fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mini Book Jewelry
Let's Spool Up!
Meatless Monday: Spinach and Cheese Gnocchi Bake

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...