A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 315,833
Currently Running With Scissors:
226 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Must/Cool to have scrapbooking tools and equipment  (Read 3554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Neophyte282
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007 03:50:15 PM »

All these things and I have no idea what they are... so much research to do on my part. I will definitely be a craft know-it-all soon. Tongue

Again, thanks for your help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cdaviscare
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007 07:50:24 AM »

I like to use brads a lot and I've been having fun with the Fastenator ( I think thats what it's called, it's a stapler with different decorative staples). I really like a lot of the different metal embellishments I see in the scrapbooking stores. Chipboard letters and cutouts are cool too. A good variety of scrapbooking pens. I should have paid closer attention are you just stocking supplies to be used during in house crops, or more like a full section of scrapbooking supplies. Personally I get so excited in the craft stores over everything and there is an overwhelming amount of stuff available these days. I love overlays. I haven't used them a lot but I think they can make a page look elegant. If you had an idea of who your clientele would be and what there interests are it would make it easier to choose your supplies. That way you could stock embellishments related to their interests. Some magaizines and idea books would be good to have. I'm always picking up a scrapping magazine or book. You should also have some kind of cutting system whether it's a die cutter machine, laser cuts or computer based. I think most scrappers would expect to have something like this available to them when they go crop. Another idea if it's in the budget is to have a computer available and some kind of photo printer/editor. I know some of the crops I've been to have sign up sheets for computer time and it goes in 15 minute increments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_avalanche
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007 03:30:43 PM »

Here's a list of what I use most frequently:
- All different sorts of adhesives (depends on the task at hand)
- Hole-piercer
- Xacto knife
- Bone-folder (use this all the time for making cards and books)
- Computer with lots of cool fonts (for journaling and titles - it's just so much quicker than die-cut letters).
- Some good basic punches - squares and circles of all different sizes (good for nesting the shapes), a couple flowers, stars, postage stamps, etc.
- Brads (I never use eyelets because I'm too lazy to get the tools out!)
- Flowers (the Prima brand is cool, but also fabric ones that I scavange from artificial flowers)
- Ribbons (lots of ribbons!)
- Small ink pads (the "cat eye" kind) for inking the edges of papers
- Sewing machine!   I love the look of sewn paper.
- Extra-large ziplock bags (the 13x15" ones, I think), to hold page kits or partially completed projects.

To this, I'd maybe add:
- Acrylic paints in a bunch of colors, and foam stamps to go with (letters, and also the new swirls and flowers and stuff)
- Letter stamps (like the Making Memories magnetic ones) and ink pads.
- Obviously, good paper and cardstock (the textured stuff).

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet_avalanche
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007 03:35:31 PM »

Forgot to add - as far as paper trimmers go, I love my guillotine-style cutter.  I don't know why, but I just find it so much easier to use than the others.  There are some new ones out there that I'm lusting over (http://www.purplecows.net/) that combine both the normal trimmer with the guillotine...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neophyte282
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007 06:36:01 AM »

I should have paid closer attention are you just stocking supplies to be used during in house crops, or more like a full section of scrapbooking supplies.

I will have tools and equipment for people to use in house and sell supplies in personalized kits. Basically, there is a set price depending on the type of kit you want (with paper, embellishments, etc) with the option to personalize even more at a higher price. It kind of takes away that overwhelming feeling when you set foot into a supply store and end up coming away with things you question as to why you bought in the first place. That has happened to me way too much with other crafts.

Thanks for your replies!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet_avalanche
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007 06:59:04 AM »

I will have tools and equipment for people to use in house and sell supplies in personalized kits. Basically, there is a set price depending on the type of kit you want (with paper, embellishments, etc) with the option to personalize even more at a higher price. It kind of takes away that overwhelming feeling when you set foot into a supply store and end up coming away with things you question as to why you bought in the first place. That has happened to me way too much with other crafts.

I think that's a fantastic idea!  I've used some monthly page kits before (specifically, the ones from http://www.personalscrapper.com/, though there are a zillion out there - check out http://www.willowtraders.com/), and it was REALLY nice to have everything gathered together for me.  The example designs for each kit were also very helpful, so you should try to have those as well.

Random business idea.....   I have a TON of scrapbooking supplies, and every once in a while I invite all my girlfriends over for a "play with paper" day.  They use whatever they want, and chip in a few bucks for each page (roughly).  I always thought it would be cool to run a shop that way - I'd get to indulge my passion for buying scrapbooking crap, people could just come and use whatever they like without worrying about storing it at home or what to do with the leftovers, etc.   Oh, if only I was independently wealthy!!!   Wink 

Oh, one more idea and then I'll quit, I swear!   Lots of times, you'll want a little metal (or whatever) letter to add to your layout.  And of course you won't want to add a whole alphabet worth of letters to each one of your kits.   You can get a big toolbox-like thing with lots of little compartments (one for each letter, each number, and maybe some more for other common themes like hearts, stars, etc.) and then buy a bunch of different styles of letter embellishments and sort them by letter/number.  It's okay to jumble the styles together - sometimes you even want to mix and match them on a layout for a fun look.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Caramel Candied Apple Salt Scrub
DIY Halloween Costumes
Meal Prep Monday: Fish Tacos with Green Sauce

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...