A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,893
Currently Running With Scissors:
263 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etiquette, Etiquette, Oh how you plague me!  (Read 4701 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
EowynUlysses
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007 04:58:08 PM »

When my cousin got married, they had the ceremony (and honeymoon) in Jamaica. I think only my aunt (groom's mom) and her boyfriend actually went. They made a really great video and showed it at their (enormous) reception, which was actually a year later. So it was also a 1year anniversary celebration.
Just something else to think about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007 08:19:15 PM »

I agree with everyone that you need to do what makes you happy. I would just be prepared for someone, somewhere along the line to be unhappy. You can't please everyone [nor should you try, that's a quick way to an ulcer.]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007 03:46:11 PM »

Have the wedding you want.

It's perfectly ok to elope, or have a destination wedding with just your immediate families and closest friends present, and then have a big party for all your friends later on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foreverstudent
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007 09:30:43 AM »

I, too, am having a very small family-only wedding and then a big reception months later as a picnic. So, I think it's absolutely fine. In our holiday letter this year I just let everyone know to save the date for the reception. Pretty much everyone knew already that the big party would be in August. Most everyone who is invited, generally will have more fun at the picnic anyway. Granted, I'm jealous about your food selection Wink We are only have speciality subs at our reception. Good luck and congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
march
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007 10:28:36 AM »

thank you all so much for your helpful input! I am starting to feel so much better about everything. I know that this is supposed to be a wonderful time in my life, but all of the things that need to be done and the sheer cost of things makes me feel like I'm gasping for air sometimes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

caradee
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007 08:16:19 PM »

I think its fine, if I'm reading you correctly....
You would sacrifice the 80 people for only immediate family and wedding party, more like 30 guests (I picked a number at random) and are hosting a larger party for say 100-200 later?

If you were inviting 80 to the wedding, then 130 to the later party, that would be iffy, since more than half of your guests already went to the wedding.

Have fun, it's sounds fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
march
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007 05:27:54 AM »

Actually, 80 people doesn't even cover all of our aunts and uncles. We both have huge families. Crazy huh? We would of course invite them to both parties, but even without them the second party would be about 100 people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sterlinggurl
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007 10:50:33 AM »

Etiquette.. smetiquette...

I say its UR day( u and hubby to be) so those that love you will understand... and those who have issues... are.. well.. most likely family... and they will deal...

have any questions or needs... let me know.. I LUV this stuff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will do personal swaps!! Beads, findings, etc
meowmeow
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007 08:03:54 PM »

My cousin got married overseas with only his and his wife's immediate families(no grandparents even), and had a huge reception a few months later for our giant extended family. The nicest touch, which I think helped take the edge off for most people, was the multiple televisions playing DVDs of their ceremony on a loop. That way the whole family could see her dress, the vows, my cousin crying, etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suavisvinum
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007 11:36:37 AM »

it's not uncommon to have a small wedding and a nice big reception/party later. and the party with the bonfire and such sounds like so much fun!

honestly, i've been involved in planning a few weddings, and i've resigned myself to the fact that someone is always going to feel insulted/slighted/left out. man, the things people can get upset over. the bottom line is that it's your wedding and really, you should do what makes you happy and comfortable. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaze upon the uselessness and tremble..
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Map Paper Pinecones
Ode To Coffee
Meal Prep Monday: Chicken Pot Pie

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...