A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 314,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 147
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 301640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2005 03:41:49 AM »

Bad, bad needle story:
When my dad was a kid. his mom liked to sew.  She had apparently left a needle on the floor, and my dad stepped on it.  Now, years passed, and someone realized he had a needle imbedded in his foot.  When they went to take it out, they couldn't, because, there was, like, some sort of thing around it that makes it permanant.  So, the nob and gist is my dad has a needle permanantly imbedded in his foot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2005 03:35:26 PM »

Blimey! Shocked
I had a craft-related injury the other day... I think this one'd go under the Health and Beauty section.
I was looking for ways to darken my hair without using dyes, and I found out that sage and rosemary are good for it.
So yesterday I boiled up some sage and rosemary in a cup, like tea, then I took it upstairs to my bath. Well, I shampooed my hair, conditioned it and rinsed it, then I picked up the mixture and sloshed it all over my head.

"AAARGH, SHIT!!!"

I had forgotten to let it cool first! I dunked my head in the bathwater to cool it off.

When I stuck my head out of the water, I was still holding the cup. To add insult to injury, a lot of mushy leaves flopped out of it onto my head. Tongue

Ah well, I can laugh about it now! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MirthFairy
« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2005 07:28:25 PM »

Imagine this - peaceful night glueing things to other things with my HIGH TEP GLUE GUN. Not paying attention, I get a huge GLOP on my finger, which quicky got stuck to my other fingers...  Cry Ouch.. when it dried, i was too much of a wimp to peel it off. i was afraid I'd take a chunk of skin with it, so I made my boyfriend do it.. No skin came off, but I had blisters for a week!

Poor man is always having to fix my burns...

yeah, then there was the time I was sewing a long seam on my machine. I zoned out and I guess I kept leaning in to watch the seam guide, and, WHAM!, I leaned right in to the metal bit on the front of the machine, that moves up and down with the needle. Luckly it didn't bruise....  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miffy
« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2005 01:23:35 PM »

yeah, then there was the time I was sewing a long seam on my machine. I zoned out and I guess I kept leaning in to watch the seam guide, and, WHAM!, I leaned right in to the metal bit on the front of the machine, that moves up and down with the needle. Luckly it didn't bruise....  Roll Eyes

Totally did the SAME EXACT THING last night around 1am while I was making purses. I missed my eye by about a millimeter. I always lean my head against the machine. Not sure why. But either way, I doubt I'll be doing it again anytime soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rajordan
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2005 09:18:04 AM »

"... when she decided it was time to take a break, she set the exacto down-and didnt cap it"

Oh, my gosh! They have caps for exacto knives???!!!  Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Talon
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2005 05:48:35 PM »

Oh, my gosh! They have caps for exacto knives???!!!

Apparently...though they're often sold without.  I bought one of those.  Since I know that knife blades are sharp (no really, they are!), I improvised a cap for mine by using a pen top.  I was transferring a bunch of craft supplies from my studio in the architecture building to my dorm room one day and, genius that I am, I decided to carry the knife in my pants pocket.  It was blade-up, and of course the pen cap came off, so when I stuck my hand in my pocket to get my room key I sliced my finger open.   Tongue  So there I was, holding up my injured right hand and trying not to bleed on the hall carpet while I awkwardly dug around in my pocket with my left hand, carefully maneuvering around the exposed blade to fish out my keys so I could open the door and find a band-aid.   Roll Eyes

It cut a hole in my favorite pair of jeans, too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hercuteness
wonderfulonium

Give me a week or two to go absolutely cuckoo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2005 11:48:38 AM »

My grandmother was a seamstress for many many years.  Once, she was hemming a chiffon dress (when she tells this story the word "chiffon" is said with such disdain it's hysterical) and totally zoned out.  Not uncommon for someone who hems other people's clothes for ten hours a day.  Anyway, the dress was sliding off the end of the table so what did she do?  She reached for it.  Right under the plunging needle.  She says she sat there calmly looking at her thumb, now tethered to the sewing machine by the needle, right through the middle of her thumbnail.

The other woman who was working along side of her freaked out and started screaming.  My grandmother said all she could think to say was "Take that damn dress off the table before I bleed all over it."

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You got no fear of the underdog. . .that's why you will not survive!

PHOTOGRAPHY - It's what I do, and I'm pretty darn good.
http://www.fulltiltphotography.com/

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1261437978

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/nadiacaffesse
indigo flower girl
« Reply #347 on: April 01, 2005 02:17:03 PM »

I wasn't quite to the point of crafting, but once I was trying to open a box containing tie-dyeing supplies. It was sealed with little sticker things. I couldn't break the seals, so I decided to try using the teeth on my comb. (?  Undecided) Anyway, I swiftly jerked the comb at the seal, toward my other hand and somehow ended up jabbing my right hand with my left thumbnail. (??  Sad) Minor blood. It hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cakeandmittens.wordpress.com/

Smile like you mean it, and let yourself let go.
unlikely_redhead
don't give me anythign sharp

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 01, 2005 07:25:53 PM »

i thought i'd share my best, since it's so funny.. .well, now it is

when i was aobut 9, i was working on one of those old potholder looms in bed, when the tool got caught, and i jerked it  to get it free. ( isn't that how it always is??  Roll Eyes)

i sat there for one moment, and then screamed. my mama came in first and she screamed. my dad came in, becaus enow both the gals in the family are screaming. my brother slides by in his socks, doesn't quite see what it is, and runs down stairs to get my other brother. they return, my oldest bro witha  baseball bat (he slept n the basement)

apparently, my brother thought the tool was a snake.

my dad calmed everyone down, and carefully removed the tool...

which had caught itself ON MY EYELID!

i'm not blind, luckily!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pessimism: because i'd rather be pleasently surprised than horribly disapointed
Mojo
« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2005 06:28:28 AM »

My very first craft-related injury: yesterday I tried felting wool knits for the first time.  Who knew my washing machine could get water hot enough to give me blisters on both thumbs?! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 147 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Homemade Veggie Broth
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...