A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: The December Craft Challenge has been announced. Read all of the details here and get to crafting!
Total Members: 315,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
200 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 149
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty But Stupid: YOUR CRAFT RELATED INJURIES HERE!  (Read 338176 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

aoyuki_kitsune

Where the HELL is my chiffon!?!

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 18, 2006 05:33:04 PM »

I dont really ever injure myself other than the typical hot glue/needle stabbage incidents.The good injuries I inflict on others.My sister-found one of my nipped off head pins using her foot,stabbed in the face/eye/arm/everywhere else with my crochet hooks,convenient target to throw crafted items at...I aim for the torso,I hit her eye/face/head.Mom-tapestry needle(belonging to me again) all the way through that thin flap of skin between your toes,hot glue incidents too numerous to catalog.Dad-he cuts the boards,I hold them down,I flake out,I let board go....'nuff said.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006 11:13:29 AM by aoyuki_kitsune » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Coma_Girl
Master of the Girlie Arts

Pirates fear me. Ninjas want to be me.

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 19, 2006 01:40:37 PM »

This is craft-related in that I had to clean up my crafting space (some call it a "dining room," silly people) before our new home-owner's insurance carrier came to inspect.  I was sliding a folding chair into a tight space and I'm not entirely certain what happened, but the chair came smashing down on my ring finger and split the skin.  It was bleeding profusely so I wrapped it up tightly and held my arm above my head (remember: direct pressure, elevation, pressure point!).  After 20 minutes the bleeding wouldn't stop and the triage nurse in the local ER told me I should come in (the number's on our speed dial).  When I got there the doc looked at it he said that I might be able to get away without stitches. 

Then he looked at my chart and said, "But in your case, I think we should suture it."  Then he asked me when my last tetanus shot was.  I asked him what about this injury demanded a tetanus shot to which he replied, "It doesn't, but you should probably get one."  I said I had one six years ago (in that ER as a matter of fact, after stabbing myself in the center of my hand removing the pit from an avocado).  He then said, "Yeah, but someone like you should have one every five years."

Someone like me?  What the hell is that supposed to mean?  Apparently it means that clumsy, dizzy, stupid (yet crafty) chicks such as myself, need to protect themselves against their own said clumsiness, dizziness, and stupidity.  I was about to protest when I realized that the chart he was holding outlined the seven injuries to my hands requiring stitches in the last six years.

I just shut up and took the shot.

BTW, the doc said that in the well over 2,000 injuries he's sutured, I'm only the second he's ever done without using any anesthetic of any kind.  I don't know if that makes me brave or stupid. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1022 on: November 19, 2006 01:59:10 PM »

I was making embossed cards for my best friend and I got some powder on my hand and thought I got it all off, but didn't, so I melted it all over my hand.  It hurt and was silver, even though the powder was white.  When burnt most people stop, run cold water over it or put some aloe on it, I called my brother to tell him to come home and look and the awesome card I made, then I took a picture with my phone and sent it to him. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
slb2724
« Reply #1023 on: November 19, 2006 04:30:21 PM »

if you judge your swap packages on the ammount of injuries you receve, my package has to be the best ever. ive stabbed myself with an icepick, got a huge blister, ripped off said blister, cut myself and recieved numerious burns in the form of molten plastic.

but i finished them! all 14 of them! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
littlefish
« Reply #1024 on: November 25, 2006 10:16:16 AM »

Oh. So many ouches.

I have this one finger, the index finger on my left hand, that I hurt over and over and over. Two memorable occasions:

I was eleven, and my cousin and I had just learned how to make sock monkeys... We were at our aunt's house and she used to be big into crafting (no more), so she had a sewing kit with huge, heavy,  sharp shears... I was cutting the monkey's ear, and snip. I cut the tippy tip of the finger almost all the way off (it was hanging there) and my uncle had to put it back on and glue it in place with neosporin.

Then I was twelve, and into baking a lot, so I had this idea to make little fruit spread tart cookies with different shaped cutouts, so I made the dough and put in the preserves and all, and baked them-- they were great. The next morning I wanted one with some tea, warmed, so I stuck it in the microwave... the jelly came out black. So, of course, like any distraught, slightly awed child, I poked it. Sugar burn right on top of the shears scar.

Glad I haven't got any glue injuries thus far-- that sounds awful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ah, the sun, the breeze
The tepid rage of drivers
Honking at the geese.
MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 25, 2006 04:12:44 PM »

I just had the sewing machine spit a broken needle at me. The needle hit one of those miserable little metallic sequin things in some tissue lame, after i though I peeled them all off...and broke into three pieces. One piece hit me right below the eye.  Shocked An inch over and I'd be on the way to the hospital, not craftster!  Scary!  I think I'm going to the hardware store to get some safety glasses. Later!
The exact same thing happened to me, except instead of a sequin, it was a pin. I didn't even know the pin was there because it had just stuck to the fabric. It wasn't one that I had put in.

same thing happened to me but it was an intentional pin =[
it left a mark not even an inch under my eye Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: November 25, 2006 05:55:00 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

um EEK!

I've left pins in the underarm and crotch seams of things.. but.. eek.. that almost has to be a neckline..

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
DeamoGirl
« Reply #1027 on: November 26, 2006 08:19:23 AM »

Instead of using seam-rippers, I take apart plastic razor blades and use the tiny, flimsy, yet sharp blade to cut out seams.  Not only do I run the risk of cutting up my projects, but one night I slipped and wound up cutting open my finger.  Not ER worthy, but it bled like crazy.  So I've decided to ask for a seam-ripper for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much to high a cost!
[wicked]
slb2724
« Reply #1028 on: November 26, 2006 12:30:23 PM »

this is a mix of "you know your a craftster when...", and "crafty but stupid"

you have battle scars from your swap packages, so you know they've turned out well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
aoyuki_kitsune

Where the HELL is my chiffon!?!

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 29, 2006 11:24:11 AM »

this is almost a disturbing thread to read!Its amazing that most of us have survived really.And I have more to add but this is more injuries to my dad(and the whole reason that the man should not be allowed within 20 feet of power tools)  We got about 20 new cabinets from some man remodeling his house(previous owner installed them,moved and the new owner hated them)They were very nice cabinets except the shiny brass finished handles.Mom wanted antiquey silver.She's a crafty woman but lazy too....she told my dad to sand them with a dremel and she would rub over them with black paint to antique them.Two knobs in and suddenly theres blood everywhere.My dad pretty much sanded his damned knuckles off.He is always coming into the house bleeding from somewhere so it really wasnt too big a surprise.My mom sanded down the other 500 or so handles without incident and refinished them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 149 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Crochet Rainbow Scarf
Let it Snow!
Meatless Monday: Cauliflower Spinach Puree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...