A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
NOVEMBER NEWS: Did you vote for the best DIY costume yet?
Total Members: 314,814
Currently Running With Scissors:
123 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cribs-style kid's kitchen from an old entertainment center  (Read 135799 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_gifts_kids , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

thixle
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2007 09:34:35 AM »

This is absolutely awesome... I'm gathering parts to make my own right now!

Couple questions--
Did you use spray paint for plastics on the "stove burners"?  or does regular spray paint actually stick? I'd like to stencil on red coil burners...
And I didn't really understand that bit about the back splash. Do you mean you wished you had used one piece of wood for it instead of separating the stove and counter?

I can't wait to get this thing going, my daughter is going to love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamdoll
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2007 01:24:48 PM »

This is so awesome, what a fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.tamdoll.etsy.com
tamdoll.blogspot.com
spotlightmama
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2007 04:01:48 PM »

This is absolutely awesome... I'm gathering parts to make my own right now!

Couple questions--
Did you use spray paint for plastics on the "stove burners"?  or does regular spray paint actually stick? I'd like to stencil on red coil burners...
And I didn't really understand that bit about the back splash. Do you mean you wished you had used one piece of wood for it instead of separating the stove and counter?

I can't wait to get this thing going, my daughter is going to love it!

Yay - so glad you're making one!  I did use spray paint for plastics, as this is what was in my garage; I don't know if you have to use the special kind or not.  I love the idea of adding coils! 

In regards to the backing, I needed enough pressed board to cover 4' x 4'.  I bought two pieces that were each 2' x 4' and hung the pieces with the long side going horizontally.  Having two pieces made it very hard to do the contact paper just so - you will already have seams because most contact paper is not wide enough; using two pieces sort of aggravated this problem.  It seemed to work out since we hung the bottom piece a little higher to create the look of a backsplash.  I think it would have been easier to get one 4'x4' piece, contact paper the whole thing and just nail it to the back (instead of trying to line up two pieces perfectly).

I hope this helps!  Make sure you post pics so we can see what it looks like!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2007 08:38:41 AM »

In regards to the backing, I needed enough pressed board to cover 4' x 4'.  I bought two pieces that were each 2' x 4' and hung the pieces with the long side going horizontally.  Having two pieces made it very hard to do the contact paper just so - you will already have seams because most contact paper is not wide enough; using two pieces sort of aggravated this problem.  It seemed to work out since we hung the bottom piece a little higher to create the look of a backsplash.  I think it would have been easier to get one 4'x4' piece, contact paper the whole thing and just nail it to the back (instead of trying to line up two pieces perfectly).

Ok... the entire backing piece.  I thought you were talking about a completely different piece (the little rail thingy along the back right at the countertop level).  Completely makes sense now, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brandnewday
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2007 07:37:05 AM »

That is a fantastic idea! I'm sure that you can get an old entertainment center and the other supplies for way less than a nice wooden kitchen set premade.

AND...what's the fun in buying something premade!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://inthekeyoflife.typepad.com - Check out the 'She Keeps on Stitchin' photo album for finished projects.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ~Einstein
chutes to narrow

i have to push the pram a lot...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2007 08:23:26 AM »

i would have never thought that you can turn an entertainment center into a mini kitchen....you have a great imagination  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weberly
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2007 07:14:43 PM »

this is so well done, really beautiful, but my daughter has unfortunately outgrown this phase or i promise i'd be duplicating this to a T, now i need someone to show me how to do a barbie-house made from similar shelves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimberlina
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2007 09:54:57 PM »

OMG!!!  I never ever post but that is SO TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

How creative- I just love it.  My daughter has a plastic   Roll Eyes kitchen already, but this is so great I may just make one for her.  I have a similar entertainment center in a closet upstairs- I bet she'd love it.  Now I just need to find a place to put it!!

Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pamelamama
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2007 10:04:21 PM »

excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennickell
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2007 11:09:20 AM »

I was just at a friends house and I noticed she had a similar entertainment center sitting outside under her car port, I sent her the link. I think this is the coolest thing ever (makes me wish I had girls to play kitchen with)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Jewelry Art
November 14, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cupcake Bath Bombs

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...