A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 318,719
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So, I'm toying with the idea of opening an Etsy shop...  (Read 4265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFlyingPolitician
« on: December 24, 2006 10:37:27 AM »

First off, My apologies for being so naive.
Second, For those of you with shops (not just Etsy, any shops):
What are the necessities? Obviously you need things to sell, a camera to upload pictures, and things of that sort. Anything I'm missing? A closet's worth of boxes for shipping? (Also on that shipping note, you just weigh the export at the post office plus $x for your trouble, right?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FineGirl
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006 06:41:03 AM »

I would have about 5- 10 items to sell before you start listing, and then list one or two of those everyday to get maximum exposure for your store. When you take pictures, take them in natural and bright light if you can, without a flash. Your pics will look great that way, and I prefer a plain white background, but there is debate about that. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BitsyCreations
The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake. Leonardo DaVinci

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006 06:50:01 PM »

I definitely felt like Etsy was a learn-as-you-go experience.  I haven't been there for very long (3-4 months) & have already run into so very many helpful people! Smiley

The main thing I've found that I needed is a way to get people to actually look at my shop!!  I am quite confident that my designs are good & original, but I got a little discouraged at first when I felt like other people were selling similar, yet inferior products much easier than I!  I just wasn't getting enough people to my shop!  I'm still working on it... currently, I talk talk talk talk talk to whoever I can, I have a page on Myspace, & I've done a few "freebies"... i.e. I gave away some greeting cards for free, but had the recipients promise to give them out (so my name got to the customers and to the recipients of the greeting card).

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll have many more helpful tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

makephotojewelry
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 07:13:27 AM »

My teenage daughter did all her christmas shopping on etsy. She and her friends love the stuff offererd there. They bought little purses, cases and buttons etc that have interesting things on them.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007 08:46:12 AM by makephotojewelry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ellatrue
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007 09:12:20 AM »

I have some questions, too:

In general, would you say that most items listed on etsy are sold? I tried ebay, least 2/3rds of all jewelry the auctions seem to end without any bids (price or quality don't change this). So selling is a net loss, since without a buyer, you just lose money on the listing fee.

As someone looking at starting with etsy now, would you all say it is any better? What is the effect of the longer listing duration, as compared to ebay? Do  more people seem to be browsing Etsy these days?

I looked for ended auctions, but couldn't find the past listings on the site (I'm still a newbie), so I didn't find many answers.
Any advice?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilsunbum6
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007 09:21:48 AM »

I did ebay for awhile, but it seemed like as soon as you listed a piece of jewelry someone listed one almost like the one I had and cheaper. I did make a nice amount on ebay selling my kids clothes and toys they no longer played with along with some vintage pillow panels and such. I too just opened an etsy store so I think the more you promote it the better it will be( I am still working on the promo stuff). Etsy fees seem to be resonable too.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007 09:58:41 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007 09:38:19 AM »

You also need stuff like mailing labels, return labels, forms for your return policy, invoices, lots of mailing tape, filler if your product is delicate, tags or gift boxes and such if you care about what your product looks like. There are many ways to deal with those kind of things. In the beginning you might just want to buy boxes as needed. Once you get busy you can always get boxes cheap at uline.com.

If you're planning to do a lot of promotional materials, a decent photo software would be in order, like photoshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...