A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 314,823
Currently Running With Scissors:
177 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 2 Hour (or less) Santa Hat  (Read 4075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

litlnemo
« on: December 22, 2006 01:26:27 AM »

I wanted to make a Santa hat but didn't have time to go to the yarn shop and get nice yarn... so instead, I have found a use for cheap yarn! Smiley I whipped up a quick Santa Hat last night using Light & Lofty for the white part and Homespun for the red part. The L&L looks really good for the white part of a Santa hat! And I have to admit that the Homespun color "Candy Apple" is a perfect Christmas red.

The pattern (such as it is) is on my blog. There's not much to it, really.

I'm making a baby one next for my niece.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

erikabadger
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006 01:38:53 AM »

You're right - that yarn works perfectly!  Great Santa hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.castonerika.blogspot.com/
http://www.wists.com/erikabadger

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
 "(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
litlnemo
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006 03:52:35 PM »

Thanks!

I made a baby version now, too:

The original pattern is really easy but it makes a right triangle shaped hat. So it is longer in the back than in the front. For this hat that looks OK because a Santa hat really should have a jaunty, sort of off-center peak anyway. But if you want to make it not a right triangle you need to space your decreases around the hat instead.  This makes it just slightly more difficult because now you have to count a little bit. Wink  Anyway, the baby hat version I posted has this method instead of the one the first hat used, so it actually looks more symmetrical and more like a typical hat.

I added the baby hat version to my blog as well (at the link I posted above).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006 04:30:31 PM »

im going to make this tonight
one for me
and one for a christmas gift to give tomorrow
thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006 01:08:35 AM »

Now I have a picture of the hat on a real baby!

What I can see here is that the pattern needs more rows between the decreases so it will be longer. It is cute this way but to have the long floppy part it needs to be longer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006 11:24:56 AM »

Awh. i made one for someone in my family with a pair of matching baby booties but sadly i dont have pictures
hopefully someone will send them to me
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006 11:41:28 AM »

Shocked that's so awesome! it looks so good on you and that cute little baby. one question though.....how do you make the pompom on the end?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
litlnemo
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006 02:58:16 PM »

Thanks! I just did a Google search for :"how to make a pompom" and chose a page that seemed easy to understand. Smiley Basically you cut out 2 cardboard circles, with the center and part of one side cut out so they are shaped like a big C. You put a small piece of yarn on one of the circles, following the C shape, letting the ends of the yarn hang down from the arms of the C. (This is the part of the pompom you will use to attach it to the hat.) Then press the two circles together. Wrap yarn around and around the C. Pull the first piece of yarn tight and tie it in a loose knot around the wrapped yarn Then take sharp scissors and cut the yarn between the two cardboard C's. Remove the cardboard. Tighten the first piece of yarn. Pull the  Fluff the pompom up and cut off any uneven pieces. (Don't cut off the pieces you will use to sew it on the hat!)

(I know that the description doesn't help much... pictures are probably necessary. I don't have any at the moment, though.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaddiesMom
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007 02:42:24 PM »

I went searching for this pattern ( I knew I saw it about a year or so ago) and it is the perfect thing to make for the grandfather who has everything (besides hair!).  Should keep himsnuggly warm this coming season and add a festive dash to his boring wardrobe!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.

http://jilliej.etsy.com
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007 04:31:05 PM »

Very cute! And knit on straights too! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Danish Heart Basket
O, Christmas Tree

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...