A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
282 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seller's Permit for table at anime convention  (Read 1147 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
« on: December 20, 2006 11:18:21 AM »

 Hi everyone!
 I need some help ^_^;; there's a small local anime convention in January, and I want to get an artist table to sell various things I've made... but I just found out that I need a California State Seller's Permit. I looked it up and printed out the form and everything, but it confused the heck out of me! Has anyone else had to get one of these?
 I have a few concerns about it... first of all, I'm 17 years old. I couldn't find anything about age on the website where I found the form, but I do need a driver's license, which I should be getting very soon, and a bank account, which I can get as soon as I have a drivers license. But, do I still need to get a permit ad pay sales tax if I'm underage? And also, how long would it take to get a permit? I don't have much time left before the convention.
 And, this probably should have been the first question but, do you think it would even be worth it? It's a fairly small convention so I don't know how much I would be able to sell, and getting a permit and everything seems like a big hassle. Tables are only $6 per day and I think it would be a neat experience, but would it be better to wait and go to a craft fair or something?

 Sorry if I'm rambling, or if my post is confusing, I'm sick and I think I took too much medicine  Undecided

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006 01:01:50 PM »

You might want to get in touch with some at the California Small Business Administration http://www.sba.gov/ca/
They can hopefully answer your questions.  Since you're 17 they're may be some issues, but I don't know.  The show sounds like a good experience--you have to start somewhere.  Good luck!
Offline Offline

Posts: 2898
Joined: 26-Jun-2005

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006 05:45:54 AM »

I would also start with the local small biz bureau; still they might not have all the answers (for taxes they will probably refer you elsewhere) but can certainly tell you how old you have to be. I would run with the assumption that if age isn't mentioned, you only need the license and account. If it was me, they could feel free to come and get me if they wanted, but I can guaranty you if you sell anything, whatever state you live in wants that tax money! Get a tax ID. It hurts twice as much if they come to you later for non-paid taxes.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Fail Fudge
Feed Your Pie Hole
Ah, fall!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.