A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Want to join a Craft swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 321,375
Currently Running With Scissors:
228 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: That "No-Knead Bread" that everyone is talking about  (Read 7142 times)
Tags for this thread: bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

alicedebeton
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006 06:23:47 AM »

thank for the links and incouraging pictures. I did one this weekend and it turned out so great that I'm doing a bunch as last minute christmas gift ( my house now smells like a baker's shop  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A real artist creates beautiful thing and put nothing of his own life in it "

Curt, Velvet Goldmine
spaghetti
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007 05:58:10 PM »

Hey there,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'd like to make this bread and I was wondering, has anyone added wheat gluten to theirs?  I usually add a couple tablespoons when I'm making "regular" bread, but I'm not sure how it would act in this recipe.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
chamaecyparis
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007 07:15:39 PM »

I don't think adding wheat gluten would hurt, but it's really not necessary, because the long rise gives the gluten so much time to develop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
may1em
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007 11:56:16 AM »

I've made this twice. The first time I used just plain all-purpose white flour with cornmeal for the anti-stickiness factor. It worked out great. The second time, I used 2 cups plain white flour and 1 cup whole wheat, with plain flour for the anti-stickiness factor.

It tasted great both times, but on the second try I learned that is is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure the surface the cloth is on is completely dry. Otherwise you will end up peeling dough from the cloth.

I use a 3 quart copper clad stockpot with lid. My mom uses a 4 quart round Corningware. Grandma uses corningware also. I think my uncle uses some Pyrex thing. You don't really need the 6-8 quart container the recipe says you do.

And yes, you do have to wait awhile but the actual work involved is something like half an hour broken up into 10 and 5 minute chunks. It just requires some planning to be sure you'll be around in 18 hours when you need to start doing stuff with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaghetti
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007 12:08:13 PM »

It tasted great both times, but on the second try I learned that is is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure the surface the cloth is on is completely dry. Otherwise you will end up peeling dough from the cloth.

Yeah...I don't have a cloth -- I put it into a big metal flour-coated bowl and covered it with a floured piece of plastic wrap.  I am a little afraid that it's going to stick, but hey, you work with what you've got Smiley

I use a 3 quart copper clad stockpot with lid. My mom uses a 4 quart round Corningware. Grandma uses corningware also. I think my uncle uses some Pyrex thing. You don't really need the 6-8 quart container the recipe says you do.

Thank you thank you thank you!  I was actually wondering about this -- my 8 quart pot isn't oven-safe but I do have a 3.5 qt one that is.  I'll give it a shot but I'll make sure to put it on a baking sheet just in case it spills over. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007 12:14:54 PM »

Has anyone ever made this before?  It was featured in Vogue a few months back.  I've got some rising right now, photos to come tomorrow when I bake it up!

Here's the recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?ex=1184817600&en=e3d0ac91375e1022&ei=5070

Scroll down a few posts for the photos!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 10:36:20 AM by Jillie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
spaghetti
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007 12:47:29 PM »

Hi Jillie,

Here's a thread about it; it was buried for a while but I bumped it when I made the bread a few weeks ago.  Mine turned out great -- the only thing is, since it's really hot (at least here), you'll want to watch out for over-rising.  I rose mine in the fridge overnight and then had it out (in my 90F kitchen) for about 4 hours.  The bread is really good and super-easy; I really want to make another loaf but I keep forgetting to start it the day before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007 01:31:35 PM »

Oh, I searched but didn't find the thread... got every other kind of bread though  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007 10:38:20 AM »

I finished the bread, it came out AMAZING!

I used the wrong kind of yeast (active dry instead of instant... oops!), so it's pretty dense, but I like it like that.  And the crust is nice and thick with a soft inside-- just the way I like it!

Just out of the oven, I used a Corningware casserole dish with a Pyrex lid

Cooling on the rack

YUM!  Look at all the bubbles, and that gorgeous crust!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007 10:54:14 AM »

Your bread looks great...I am hungry now  Sad.  Active dry and instant yeast are interchangeable -- the only difference is in how they're added to the other ingredients.  (I am totally making bread this weekend!  Thanks for the inspiration.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Happy Hobbit Day!
@Home This Weekend: Garden Painting
September 19, 2018 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...