A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Which flip flop creation is your favorite?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 313,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hats and scarves for the homeless in my city! Want to help?  (Read 3887 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_loom  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

quikroxy85
« on: December 11, 2006 01:38:25 PM »

Hello!

I have an idea for a great need in my city. On every corner, there is someone with a sign, asking for work, or food.

The numbers seem to grow every year! I don't have money or work to donate to my city's homeless, but I do want to help out in any way that I can.

Then came my idea (after hearing something similar on TV or on a website)...

As it begins to get extremely chilly (and hearing stories of the homeless dying in the winter because of being so cold), I thought that I could make many simple scarves and hats.

I am going to make simple and inexpensive scarves and hats (the hats on my knifty knitter), and put them in bags with several packages of snack crackers and a bottle or two of water.

Of course, I am only one person, and can only knit so fast...

Can you donate a couple hours to send any scarves or hats that you can donate to this project? I will archive EACH item that arrives...

All you need is a skein of inexpensive acrylic ($2 at walmart!), and a couple hours...
Any kind of scarf of hat accepted... knit, crochet, knifty knitter, knitting board, etc.

Thanks in advance! I look forward to hearing any of your ideas and receiving your help.
Message me for my address,

-Stephanie
I am also extremely willing to help any charitable cause that you have, so message me for that also.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 06:13:48 PM »

WOW! that sounds like a very nice thing to do! sadly, i cant realy help because as a broke 16 year old, packaging rates are crazy expensive! i currently knifty knit hats and such for the premie babies and some church orginization (i forget the name...oops!) good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006 09:14:39 AM »

Lately I've been thinking a lot about starting this exact project in my own city, but haven't yet had the organization or courage.
I'm so glad someone out there is doing this.  I'm casting on right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
untoherselfalone_2
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 07:58:45 PM »

sounds like a very worthy cause Smiley I am starting the Charity Blitz 2007, but I could squeeze in some scarves. Nobody should freeze to death in the wealthiest country in the world. Off to PM you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007 08:36:33 PM »

WOW! that sounds like a very nice thing to do! sadly, i cant realy help because as a broke 16 year old, packaging rates are crazy expensive! i currently knifty knit hats and such for the premie babies and some church orginization (i forget the name...oops!) good luck!

You'd be surprised, I sent 200 hats and scarves from MD to SD for only 30 dollars. If I had squashed the hats a bit, I bet I could've only spent 20.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
untoherselfalone
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007 03:57:48 AM »

oh my goodness. I just finished weaving in the ends of my scarf. AH! I am a beginner and i never atually made a scarf before. I doubled the yarn so it took tons. It is a pretty short scarf and a little ..mmmm. homemade looking Undecided. It is half wool/half acrylic so it is snuggly and warm at least--even if it is less than attactive. my bf looked at me funny when I laid the pieces out. I think red/brown/white match, but apparently not to him. lol. anyhow just updating on my status. no hats yet. ill start tomorrow. i may be a one scarf one hat donator cuz man that took me forever.  Tongue Im gonna throw in some of those packets you squeeze and they get hot and some fruit leathers i think. how does that sound??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quikroxy85
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007 10:56:26 AM »

Sounds Great, thanks!

I just received a package the other day (not sure who to credit it to... I don't have the craftster name so if you sent the 3 awesome blue hats let me know!), and I will post pictures of the three hats this wonderful craftster sent.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007 08:43:18 PM »

Sounds Great, thanks!

I just received a package the other day (not sure who to credit it to... I don't have the craftster name so if you sent the 3 awesome blue hats let me know!), and I will post pictures of the three hats this wonderful craftster sent.

That was from me... yay you got it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
quikroxy85
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007 11:30:42 PM »

thanks so much for your contribution!!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cons to Mary Janes
Shark Week, Post Deux
A Key Component

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...