A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coats' Invisible Zipper Foot vs. my Singer...help!  (Read 1210 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2006 08:57:20 AM »

So I am installing my first invisible zipper.  Thanks to "Sew U", installing a regular zip turned out to be a snap on my muslin, but I chose an invisible zip for my skirt.  I purchased the Coats invisible zip set but none of them fit onto my machine. 

Is the special "invisible zipper foot" really necessary, or can I use the plain ol' zipper foot that came with my machine?

Thanks! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006 03:07:45 PM »

In my opinion the plastic invisible zipper foot you buy on the notions wall is a piece of doodie.  I have excellent result using the regular zipper foot (mine looks like a little spear with a notch on each side).  Just follow the directions on the insert of the zipper package.  Make sure to press the zipper open.  I like to pin the zipper in place and then baste the zipper in place far from the teeth and then go back without any pins and stitch it close to the teeth.  The thing to remember is if you zip it closed before you are finished sewing it in place you will need to go back and press the zipper open again.

I LOVE invisible zippers because they always look nice but I'm not a fan of top stitching even though a hand picked zipper is couture.

Good luck and happy sewing.  Maybe you can use the Coat's foot for earrings or a cat toy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Topstitchgirl

Canuck Craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006 06:07:58 PM »

I agree with Sophisticated hippie. A regular zipper foot is all you need to put on an invisible zipper, that and some practice. After using nothing but those zippers for the last 6 years in most of my garnments, I don't get a cold sweat anymore. The instructions here do a good job of explaining what to do, just ignore the part about the special invisible zipper foot. You can machine baste if you want but that's just a waist of time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop www.ariadneknits.com!

My blog: www.topstitchgirl.blogspot.com

"My head's on straight but my heart's a little banged up"
-Peter Mackay
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006 02:13:46 PM »

Thanks so much!  I'll give it a shot.  Better than dropping $30 on a zipper foot...!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...