A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
244 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric suitable for this skirt?  (Read 1007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Elphelba
« on: December 09, 2006 10:18:40 AM »

I've made my own pattern for a skirt that is similiar to this one (it has the ruffles in the back) and I'm at a loss as to what material to use. The weather around here is generally hot, so a thick fabric is not what I want. I want something with some sheen to it, and was thinking that charmuse may be a good option, but I'm a little worried that it's not going to be full enough to really ruffle nicely. Could I go ahead with the charmuse, add a light facing to the ruffles, or go with a thicker silk fabric? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks again, you all are always so helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 10:25:42 AM »

well I'm far from a fabric expert, but I think duchesse (if I remember the name correctly  Lips sealed ) is pretty thin, but still falls beautifully, and feels fairly "heavy" to be so light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006 12:38:01 PM »

How about a silk dupioni?  It's lighterweight, has a beautiful sheen, comes in lots of colors, sews up easy (I find charmuse to be fussy because it's so slick), and is stiff enough to hold the shape you are looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006 12:42:10 PM »

Any fabric weave you decide will breath better and be most comfortable with the largest percentage being a natural or cellulose fiber such as cotton, silk or rayon.  Its a glamours and lovely looking style.  Have fun making it, very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
fizzle7033
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006 01:40:50 PM »

Although they don't have much right now, I've found this store on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Oregon-Silver_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkmusually has some really cool silk/cotton taffeta blend that is sort of drapy and  pretty lightweight.  Alot of civil war people use it for dresses.  Thought you might find something on there, plus they are fairly cheap Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006 02:01:54 PM »

I was also going to say a silk dupioni. Depending on how dressy you want it, you could also try linen or a silk-linen blend - for a more casual look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...