A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
175 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! 7 Year ols does not like meat. Want to meet her nutircion requirements.  (Read 4652 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 06, 2006 07:14:21 PM »

Hello fellow crafter's. I know nothing about being vegan. Have read a lot on the internet but it is not making much sense. My 7 year old daughter does not really like meat and I am looking for things I can add to our meals so she gets her daily requirements and also may be something new for the rest of my family to try. Can someone please provide a link to a great site with recipies and such or just give me general advice? I don't want to force her to eat things she does not like. I would prefer to provide an alternate. Can any one help? Please. Thanx, 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006 09:24:19 AM »

Hi D... Sounds like you've got a picky eater on your hands!

Can you let us know what she does like, food-wise?  There are tons of ways to get protein into your diet without eating meat... it's easier to make suggestions if we have an idea of what she does like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heini
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006 09:52:16 AM »

Do you use dairy and/or eggs when you cook? If your daughter doesn't eat any animal products she doesn't get B12 from food and she must eat vitamin pills or something where's been added B12 or take regular B12-shots.

She also need protein, so you could give her beans, peas, lentils, whole grain products, nuts and seeds. Nuts and seeds are good calcium sources too.

Some people are worried about iron, but there's no reason to be worried. Rye bread has more iron than meat. And lentils have four times as much as cow's meat.

You can find recipes and links in other threads in this forum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006 11:14:48 AM »

Hi D... Sounds like you've got a picky eater on your hands!

Can you let us know what she does like, food-wise?  There are tons of ways to get protein into your diet without eating meat... it's easier to make suggestions if we have an idea of what she does like.

Well basically she doesn't like any meat except sausage. She is also not too fond of milk. She does love all vegetables, including lima beans. Either raw or cooked.peanut butter and eggs. She will eat whatever I put in front of her but i can tell she's not enjoying it. I would like to be able to provide more choices especially at our evening meal. I will check out the forum more. Thank you both for the quick reply. 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006 11:34:14 AM »

There's also a great thread about people's favourite vegetarian/vegan cookbooks.

My personal faves are the Moosewood books.  They're great for more flexible vegetarians, since they include egg/dairy/fish based foods as well as the usual alternative sources of protein.  I use mine all the time!

If she already likes lima beans, you're ahead of the game. Smiley  Just keep giving her a different variety of vegetable and legume-based foods, and she'll be fine.  I find that a vegetarian diet can actually be MORE nutritious, since the real nutrient sources are fruits and veggies rather than meat and potatoes.

BTW, if she doesn't like milk, you may want to consider introducing a new source of calcium into her diet.  She'll need it for those growing bones.  This page has a good chart of non-dairy calcium sources: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/nutrition/calcium_non_dairy.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madeleine09
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006 11:43:13 AM »

A would definitely recommend a vitamin. I am vegetarian and I started taking pre-natal grade vitamins. They have lots of everything you need. I would talk to her Dr first before going on these though.

If it is the idea of meat, and not the taste/texture that she doesn't like, Boca, Morningstar or others have great meat replacers. I love the fake ground burger in sloppy joes. My 5 year old brother also prefers the tofu chik'en nuggets to his meat ones.

Other than that, I eat a lot of peanut butter, eggs, and lots of fruits and veggies. If you are really concerned about protein, you can always get protein powder at the drug store and make fruit smoothies with it. If she is eating a lot of fruit and veggies everything else should be taken care of though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006 09:42:45 AM »

Try her on hummus. I prefer to make my own fresh (it's cheaper that way) but you can also buy it prepackaged. It's a great food for kids because they love to dip. Give her carrot sticks, celery sticks, cucumber slices, olives, and wedges of pita bread or pita chips (purchased or you can make your own by baking cut up pita bread that's a bit past its prime on a cookie sheet until it's crunchy). I's a good lunchbox food, just put baggies of the veggies and bread with a small tupperware bowl of hummus. Very filling.

Getting her used to whole grains will help her maintain a healthy diet for the rest of her life, and help alleviate some of your present nutrition concerns.

I second the protein powder in smoothies idea if you're REALLY worried. She'll never know it's there.

There's also yogurt for calcium, iron and other vitamins. Very kid-friendly. Some of them have so much sugar they could be dessert, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faithbri
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006 06:28:22 PM »

Hey, I googled "veg kids" and got this site, which has a little chart for the number of servings kids need at different ages of things, which might help a little bit

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.htm

I've always been a pretty picky eater, so when I look for recipes (because i do like to cook) I look for "kid vegetarian recipes", so I have a couple ideas for you, if you'd like to talk more, feel free to PM me!

Anyhow, in the book "how it all vegan" there is a chapter on vegan kids. it talks for a little while about raising healthy kids, how much to eat and things like that, and then it goes into recipes.

A lot of the recipes tend to be more snack like items, but there are a few helpful ideas.

Veggies in a Blanket
2 flour tortillas
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 carrot, grated
2 lettuce leaves

warm up the tortillas in a dry pan on low heat, lay each one on a plate and lightly spread the cream cheese over each, add carrots and lettuce (or any other vegetables! I like small pieces of cut up brocolli, which is a good source of calcium and other things, so I say give that a try) and roll up. 2 servings. Smiley

If your child doesn't like eating fake meats either (like the morningstar or boca chikn nuggets-they're worth a try, they're not very chicken like) give tofu nuggets a go-i like these a lot.

Tofu Nuggets

First, I measure out about 2/3 cup of milk (or soy milk) and put in 1 tbsp o of lemon juice and mix it together with a fork, and let it sit for 10 minutes (or until it's kind of foamy looking). I drain a package of tofu and then cut it into cubes. I get out a medium sized bowl and mix together about

a cup and a half of flour
a half cup of corn meal
1/4 cup of nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp of parsley flakes
1 tsp of basil
1 tsp of onion powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of paprika
1/8 tsp of pepper

if you don't have any of these things, it's ok-all of them are optional and for taste, and you can adjust the amounts of things as you see fit. I always put in extra parsley and basil just because I think it looks prettier *shrugs* The nutritional yeast, depending on what kind you get, will have vitamin B12 in it, which you don't find in a lot of foods, so it's good to have and get in there if you can find it. if it's not in your area, sometimes you can order it on the internet.

Anyhow! After you have all of this thoroughly mixed together, you should stir the milk mixture once through, and then dip the tofu cubes in there. roll the cubes around in the flour mixture and then place them on a greased baking sheet so that they don't touch, and then bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, flip, and do other side for 10-15 minutes of until they're lightly browned.

you can dip these in ranch dressing, mustard, ketchup-i like brianna's poppyseed dressing. if you're lucky, the whole family might like these. Smiley

Also, sometimes I do these but instead of cooking them in the oven, I put them in a drying pan with some oil, and it tastes pretty different, but I like them a lot. And it cuts down cooking time.

Messy Mikes (veggie sloppy joes)
(I usually double this recipe)

1T olive or canola oil
1 8 oz package of tempeh, crumbled. (it's easiest to crumble this in your fingers, which might be a fun job to give the kids)
2 T tamari or soy sauce
1/2 cup of ketchup
1 t prepared yellow mustard
1 t apple cider vinegar
1 t sugar (or other sweetener)

heat oil in a 2 qt saucepan over medium high heat. Add Tempeh, soy sauce and saute about 10 min. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered stirring often for 10 min.

I have never met anyone who didn't love these, heh. And, I hate sloppy joes, lol, so...hopefully that works out for you.

Shit (or, another more kid friendly word) on a Shingle
4 oz of mushrooms
1 package tofu
2 packs veggie brown gravy (for 1-2 cups)
2 T soy sauce
1T olive oil

Heat olive oil in a pan. Saute mushrooms. Add drained and pressed tofu, scramble (like you would an egg). Cook for 5 minutes. Add soy sauce. Prepare gracy seperately, add, and cook together for 5 minutes.

Serve on rice. (1 cup uncooked).
Or, mashed potatoes.

This is a lot better than it might sound-and, you said your child isn't very picky, which is good, because when this is made it will SMELL good and TASTE good but it looks like it's going to be gross, lol...I had to be convinced to try this, but i'm glad I did, it's very yummy and great on a cold day.

Other than this, try lots of peanut butter, beans (refried beans taco nights) and pasta with lots of veggies. For lunch, I make up big things of cold pasta at the beginning of the week and put them in glad containers.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006 05:55:47 PM »

Thank you for the link and taking all the time to type all of that. i will definetly try the recipies and check out the link.Also thanx for the offer to PM you. If I have any more questions I will. Merry Christmas to you all. thanx again for the help. 8)d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
dancedupapillon
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006 11:32:03 AM »

Edamame beans are also great.  It's actually soy beans still in the pod.  You can buy them frozen in most grocery stores.  I think you just need to boil them until they float.  They're fun to eat too.  You pop the beans out of the pod into your mouth.  To add some flavour you can fry them in some sesame oi (still in the pod).  Easy, tasty, and big in Japan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...