A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
290 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pictures fuzzy? I bet I know why!  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 04, 2006 09:48:18 AM »

Alright, my darling fellow craftserites!  I've noticed that a whole lot of the pictures people post on this site are really, really fuzzy.  I have a solution for you.  Most regular run-of-the-mill digicams are not very good at taking pictures close-up. 

You really need to be at least a foot away from your subject for your picture to be clear!!! 

Now, I know, but it's such a small project, right?  Well, I've got an answer for that, too.  Just change your resolution a little higher than what you normally shoot on (personally, I usually shoot on the VGA setting - the smallest one - so I would crank it up to maybe 2 or 3 mp) and go ahead and shoot the picture from farther away.  Once you put the picture on your computer you can crop the photo down so it's just your lovely craft, not lots of background.  And since you shot it on a higher resolution, the picture will still be big!  Ta daa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) [email protected] [email protected] Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ [email protected] Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ [email protected] ALTSw(++)
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006 12:11:00 PM »

Good advice.. though as an avid photog, I should add there are other ways to get a clear picture of your craft.

1. Make sure you have enough ambient light.  Most ceiling lights only have a couple of 40W or 60W bulbs, which isn't enough.  Direct sunlight is great, or fake it with a 100W reading lamp aimed at your subject.  Use flash if you have to, but beware - it's not always a flattering look (for crafts OR for people!)

2. Shooting a foot away isn't always a must, as long as you use the right setting.  Most cameras these days include a macro option that allows you get in quite close (I often shoot a couple of inches away if I'm trying to capture detail).  The symbol for a macro setting is a wee lil' flower.

This was shot using a macro setting from 2" away and extra light provided by a 100W worklight:

I think it's important to keep in mind how many different skills levels everyone here at craftster has.  I think I take pretty decent photos, but anyone who's seen my knitting would fall down in a fit of laughter... so I'm quite sure there are plenty of fantabulous knitters who are inept with their cameras. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahpanda
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006 12:28:56 PM »

interestingly, I have found that close-up photos sometimes look best on the macro setting and sometimes look best with the zoom. Since it's hard to tell which pictures are best when they're actually on the camera, I take one of each and then delete the one I don't like after I put them on the computer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.com
gmail chat: sarahpanda
javastain
javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006 01:50:35 PM »

Don't forget... when you take a picture of yourself using a mirror;
~If your camera has a view screen, try pointing the camera at YOU, and using the mirror to reflect the view screen for focusing and centering... that way you are taking a picture of you and not your dirty/fuzzy mirror!
~Don't forget about the timer! That works great for actions shots (focus on a spot on the wall, like pin a stuffie where your head or focus spot would be, focus on stuffie, set timer, run over, pull stuffie down and pose!)
Also;
~remember slower shutter speed= longer shutter exposure to the object= more chance of blurring due to a wiggly camera operator
~no flash is usually a slower speed...
~get a tripod! Or try making one...
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006 02:40:06 PM »

Huzzah!  This has become a veritable cornucopia of information about craft photoing!  Tell all your friends!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) [email protected] [email protected] Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ [email protected] Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ [email protected] ALTSw(++)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...